PDA

View Full Version : Xfer case questions

griswald
06-13-2009, 09:33 PM
oK,
I have a Roverdrive, and as some of you know, I have been working on tracking down a drivetrain judder and also what I think is a heat problem in the xfer case.

Here are some questions. Today I jacked up the rear and drove the truck (wheels off ground) and heard a bit of a grumble in the xfer box but really nothing major.

The question I have is should one be able to put the vehicle in 1st gear with the rear wheels off the ground and the e brake off, and turn the gear box (using the prop shaft)?

Also can anyone tell me if when any gear is engaged and under power if it is normal for the prop shaft to quit turning quickly when the clucth is engaged or if you pull the vehicle out of gear?

I am wondering if there are things I can check to see if I have a bushing/bearing gear mesh issue...and what is ?normal? BTW the oil is not burned and there is nothing in it!

Best,
Griswald

greenmeanie
06-14-2009, 12:37 AM
The answer to question 1 in no. If the gearbox is in engaged and the clutch out you should be connected to the engine in which case you'd be turning against its compression using the prop shaft. The question then is have you put all the gearboxes in gear or is one in neutral?

A couple of things I'd do is cycle the 4wd and hi/lo levers and see what that does for prop shaft rotation. I'd also grab the hand brake drum and give it a heave and see if its moves axially or radially. Try this with the front output flange too.

Next try removing the front prop and driving it and then the rear prop and driving it. Remove a floor plate and the transfer case cover so you can see the front and rear drive flanges and with the prop removed find out what each flange is doing through the different combinations of drive selection.

griswald
06-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks so much. I am pulling my hair out!