PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again....

thixon
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Land-Rover-IIa-109-Wagon-Complete-Restoration_W0QQitemZ230348685957QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item35a1da0285&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Wonder if they'll take $2500?:D

greenmeanie
06-15-2009, 03:18 PM
AN interestign and very pretty truck. I don't think I could take a paint job like that. It would be soul destroying to get itmucky let alone scratch it. It has a plenty thick coat of primer there.

THe VIn given is that of one of the 811 famous NADA trucks but, for his $90K invested you'd think he would've checked that he had the claimed 6 cylinder fitted and not the 4 pot shown in the picture. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a rivet counter to count the number of spark plugs.

JimCT
06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
"-new genuine Land rover suspension w/ Old Man Emu Shocks
-all new hardware
-new military rebuild 2.25 liter petrol motor w/ high compression pistons fully detailed
- five new doors"

Not quite sure why you are claiming he said 6 cylinder, I think it was just a brief history of the possible models.

Paint is meant to be scratched, and as nuts as the price seems it is not hard to rack up that much in a complete restoration.

greenmeanie
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I'll confess I didn't clock that in the detail. In the vehicle description at the top he does state that it is a 6 cylinder.

KevinNY
06-15-2009, 03:53 PM
That is one of the best trucks I've ever seen that was called a "restoration". Usually that word involes a respray and some cleaning, this one was truly done well.

superstator
06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Interesting middle row seat setup - was that an option, or did somebody custom make it?

Don't know about $50k, but that's a damn nice rig.

leafsprung
06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Too many details are missing or incorrect to justify the price. For 50K you get to be a little picky. Basic things like tires of the correct diameter and impromptu door stops but also cheap fittings like the rear lamps, seats, brake fluid reservoir, cheap electrical connectors, holes drilled in the fender and dash, and so on. Id be curious what the firewall looks like under the matting. Its too modified to be a clean original, but not modified enough to be special.

HybridIIA
06-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Does anyone use aftermarket middle doors like this one? I would imagine that the boxed steel section under the window channels would rot quickly with the lack of water drains.

Bertha
06-15-2009, 06:09 PM
I cant fathom how you can possibly spend 90k on that truck, unless there is a suitcase in it with $60k cash.

Bertha
06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Too many details are missing or incorrect to justify the price. For 50K you get to be a little picky. Basic things like tires of the correct diameter and impromptu door stops but also cheap fittings like the rear lamps, seats, brake fluid reservoir, cheap electrical connectors, holes drilled in the fender and dash, and so on. Id be curious what the firewall looks like under the matting. Its too modified to be a clean original, but not modified enough to be special.

But Ike the guy claims it is a "survivor"-lol- I would love to know what the heck it has survived?

leafsprung
06-15-2009, 06:19 PM
But Ike the guy claims it is a "survivor"-lol- I would love to know what the heck it has survived?

If I had to guess I would say a severe case of rust. Survivors dont need their frames replaced. Besides, there isnt enough of the original vehicle to say its a survivor. . . .

Eric W S
06-15-2009, 08:49 PM

I'd say a poor "restoration" for one.

CliftonRover
06-16-2009, 01:06 AM
The truck looks great, maybe a large portion of the 90k went into the custom steering wheel, it is nice though. I feel like rovers are supposed to be used and if I had that much money to build something I would have modified it to be more practical. that is not to say the trucks are not good stock but you can have more fun if you change it up a little.

49coe
06-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Most guys claiming 90k type figures for their restoration are just taking the number of hours that they put into it and multiplying by $100 an hour. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Either that or my guess is that his bum is a little sore.

Rineheitzgabot
06-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Most guys claiming 90k type figures for their restoration are just taking the number of hours that they put into it and multiplying by $100 an hour. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Either that or my guess is that his bum is a little sore.

You are probably right. The guy who owns the car lot paid someone to do this, so he is counting labor. If he were only counting materials in that 90k, one would think that he had ALL of the parts shipped over from the UK, individually, and whatever isn't made anymore, he had a specialty fab shop, produce from scratch. Or, he is just trying to bu11sh!t.

TSR53
06-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Do you guys think that keeping a record of this NADA 109 (over on the registry thread) with photos, and listing could be a good thing? Let me know, as eBay listings always go blank after a while.

Linus Tremaine
06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
For completeness of our records, we would want to try to keep every NADA listed that still exists, or whose fate is known for certain (as in this case!)

109 Pretender
06-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I agree w/you guys about some "questionable" parts and "restoration" techs used on this one. E.G. my NADA (#34300243a) has the 90mph speedo that all 6cyl came with. - this one has a std speedo. ditto on the heat - mine came with full width dist. box and 2" med gray hoses. Milehigh sold one last year exactly like mine was - red 6cyl NADA, gray seats,defrost hose, faded paint, etc. As far as I know all the NADA's were similiarly equipped. Also had the pto Koenig driven from the tranny.
A first class restoration is painted either exactly like orig - or like I did (over the top surgically clean frame and bodypanels inside and out every single mm - whew!) PS I'd probably never do that again to a rover that I use offroad. This one is undercoated on underside of everything including suspension and axle cases - not 1st class.
Door panels attach wrong. I used 3003 0.125" alum. w/orig. panel clips reverse riveted to panel. Then glued 1/4" ensolite foam and covered w/gray vinyl (non orig). I think my way is more orig. looking and I got rid of the warpage problems forever. Lastly, I'm not real fond of installing all the blind rivets after paint - non orig and causes paint problems later on. Otherwise I think this is certainly better than most on ebay.
Sorry for the soapbox guys...

msggunny
06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I'd say a poor "restoration" for one.

X2, its nice dont get me wrong.

Last time i checked LR didnt offer Tuffy security consoles or OME or split rear seats as original equipment.

Someone will buy it though....

NickDawson
06-16-2009, 01:49 PM
just glad no one posted it to my "Found One..." thread ... its just a tad outside my price range :)

I'd almost hate to own it, its way too posh...

thixon
06-16-2009, 03:27 PM
just glad no one posted it to my "Found One..." thread ... its just a tad outside my price range :)

I'd almost hate to own it, its way too posh...

I thought about it, but figured this one deserved its own thread.