PDA

View Full Version : Painting brake lines?

rbonnett
06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I set out to bleed the brakes on my '64 109 SW, and of course I am now replacing the lines and wheel cylinders :(. One of the front nipples snapped right off when I started to loosen it, whicih led to taking that wheel apart to get at the bad cylinder, which led to both the flex pipe and the cyl-to-cyl pipe being destroyed, etc. etc. I also had one rear cylinder nipple that I would have had to put the pipe extension on my wrench to get it to turn, so I gave it all up as a bad job.

I received the new Pro-Line cylinders and brake line kit from our hosts today. I have a couple questions before I get started on the refit:

1) Most of the lines appear to be steel with some sort of anodized finish on the outside. The wc-to-wc pipes for the front, and the long pipe running from the 5-way to the 3-way in the back are copper (I think). Anyway, is there something that it is worth spraying them with to help them last longer, or is it just not worth it?

2) I've read lots of places about the importance of double flare versus single flare on brake lines. I'm not sure what a double flare looks like in comparison, but these all seem to have just one flared lip at the ends. Since I got them from RN I trust they are the real deal, but would be interested in knowing the difference

3) The 5-way junction at the front is NLA. I don't know yet whether I'll be able to disassembe things and salvage the old one yet. In case I can't are there alternatives that can get used? Is this something I could get as a generic brake system part from the parts store?

Thanks

4flattires
06-17-2009, 08:32 AM
....pictures AND words. How good can that get?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.joesfalcon.com/_wp_generated/wp1f34eae5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.joesfalcon.com/page22.html&usg=__i0oTnn3kcnVoFuAGHHNP21a2nmw=&h=240&w=320&sz=10&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=pf4rsZzBdBVnmM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsingle%2Bflare%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26u m%3D1

Now, since you know about double flares, be sure you know about bubble flares. Google images is your friend for that. British stuff can be a bit tricky o'l chap.

:eek:

Jeff

jac04
06-18-2009, 02:09 PM
1) As far as painting brake lines - I'm running new lines from our hosts. After bending the lines and getting them to fit well (easier said than done), I have been removing the lines, masking off the ends & fittings and hitting them with a coat of satin clear. It should help a little. My experience is that the silver lines (which should be galvanized or plated on the outside) will eventually start rusting unless the vehicle is only driven on nice days. You can certainly mask the rubber hoses and paint the lines after they are installed & verified not to leak.
The black colored lines from RN are steel lines that have some type of coating on them for rust resistance. I have found this coating to be scratched off in several places on each line. Probably best to touch up this coating with some paint if you are worried about rust.

2) Check the flares on the lines just to be sure. I have seen a few RN lines that have not been flared properly.
The flares on Land Rover lines are not your 'normal' double flares as seen on American cars.

3) Just be careful with the 5-way junction and you should be able to re-use it.

gudjeon
06-18-2009, 05:45 PM
I just paint mine over with what I am painting the chassis with. Every couple of years or so, it all gets a good coat of green rustpaint to ward of tinworm.

DADAMS
06-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Rbonnett... I have a similar post going regarding brake circuits. I'm converting to a dual circuit system and will not be using my 5way junction. I have not taken off the fittings yet, so it may be the same as yours, but brass on brass shouldn't be an issue. I'll give it a soak in Kerosene to loosen things up. Its yours if you need it.

I'm in Portland

rbonnett
06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks all and sundry. The pictures were a big help - at least I know what I have matches the double flare. I'll go ahead and paint the lines; the frame's getting POR'd but not until next spring.

Dadams: Pm on the way about the 5way.

Terrys
06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
RDS has the 5-ways