PDA

View Full Version : Quiz.. Who can guess what this piece of tranny is..?

TJR
06-15-2009, 09:32 PM
On my never ending quest to rebuild my '73 SIII 88.. I've finally gotten to the Tranny/TC. I've been degreasing the combo and was hoping to simply fit new shaft seals and re-use it as is, since both the Trans & TC worked fine before I stripped the car down. I've drained the oil from both and discovered this little chunk in the Trans drain plug.

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/88seriesiii/73_SerIII_LAndRover_Tranny?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3Xh6e79 Kz6xAE#

Now I may need to consider a rebuild of these units as well.. (why not everything else has needed it, I just can't seem to catch a break.)

I haven't taken the top off the tranny yet to see where it came from.. but let's see if anyone can predict where this sacrificed little piece came from.. I'll report back w/ the actual damaged component later.. :-)

...Talbot, Southern Maine.

greenmeanie
06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
From the serrations my betis its part of one of your synchros. Anything popping out of gear or slow to shift

CliftonRover
06-16-2009, 12:56 AM
it looks like part of the first/reverse gear. It is likely the smaller gear on the reverse idler and then a small piece of the space between them. I think the tooth is too thick to be part of one of the synchros, but still very possible. good luck

sven
06-16-2009, 11:57 AM
I found those exact pieces in my drain plug too. I did a full strip down and found no broken bits. Im guessing those pieces were left over from before the previous rebuild. But Im still glad I opened it up. I found the layshaft bolt had fully backed itself out and the mainshaft nut was finger tight. My reverese idler had some wear but thats about it.

TJR
06-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I found those exact pieces in my drain plug too. I did a full strip down and found no broken bits. Im guessing those pieces were left over from before the previous rebuild. But Im still glad I opened it up. I found the layshaft bolt had fully backed itself out and the mainshaft nut was finger tight. My reverese idler had some wear but thats about it.

UGH! :eek: I'll be taking a look inside once I finish degreasing the cases. I'll plan for the worst and hope for the best. This project just keeps getting deeper and deeper.. Thought I'm still optomistic it will have all been worth it. Its been years since I've driven this rig ('97 )and very much look forward to doing it again. TR

scatterling
06-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Sven, I also had a piece that looked exactly like the one in the picture and I couldn't initially find where it had come from either. Turns out it was a tooth from the inner member of the first/second gear synchroniser - hard to spot. my 2 cents...

sven
06-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Sven, I also had a piece that looked exactly like the one in the picture and I couldn't initially find where it had come from either. Turns out it was a tooth from the inner member of the first/second gear synchroniser - hard to spot. my 2 cents...

Ah good point. I didnt strip that piece all the way down yet. :thumb-up:

KevinNY
06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
It's the broken piece:p