PDA

View Full Version : anathema! Best way to install an iPod/GPS in a series?

NickDawson
06-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Hey folks - as I've alluded to, I have a rover coming my way soon (fingers crossed on that one).

While I'm waiting, I'm trying to satiate my obsession by doing some planning, thinking and patronage of our hosts... Green bible, shop manual, owners manual, that kind of stuff.

And, my lack of rover expertise is only paralleled by my off the charts geekyness...

I've been doing some searching and reading about the best way to wire up a GPS and install a radio. I figure the radio is a nice thing to have as a diagnostic tool, if you can hear it, then the engine is clearly not running. As a matter of practicality, I've come to rely on my GPS and already know that I'll need it to get the Rover in question back home.

Jokes about the radio aside, I would like to get some sound, understanding that quality is not an issue but volume may be. I have an iPhone that I'm rather attached to, and frankly it satisfies a lot of this challenge - GPS, radio, music, phone.

Here's my thought. Mount a tuffy box or even a military ammo box (thinking spare tire mount behind the front seats?) and install a basic amp of some kind. Run a volume control up front somewhere and a lead for the iphone to a mount on the dash. From there I could use some galvy brackets and mount some basic speakers just behind the two front seats.

I'd also like to work in an inverter...don't ask...

Anyone have any experience to share? Brands of amps/speakers that work well? I saw a post with a link to some motorcycle units that might work. I'm curious if the negative earth electrics are going to be an issue at all?

In the mean time, I'll be reading the service manual like reading is going out of style!

Rineheitzgabot
06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Nick,

I use this set up: http://www.motorcyclespeakers.net/shop/stereo-motorcycle-speakers-aw-102-prd0.htm

It is a small amp with speakers that are water resistant. They are what one might find on a GoldWing or something. It comes with everything you need; cables, jacks, etc (except for the Ipod).

I have permanently routed the input jack through the dash, and have stuck velcro to the back of the Ipod case, and the mating velcro to a spot on the dash near the input jack. I simply stick the Ipod to the dash and plug it in. I have mounted the control for the amp on the top of the dash on the defrost shroud (it has the on/off switch for the amp). The amp itself, is mounted inside the dash, behind the gauge cluster panel, so those of ill repute aren't tempted by some electronic-looking device out in the open.

As long as you don't completely submerge the car in water, everything is good. Sure, it isn't bumpin' bass, but it is inexpensive and practical. I can hear it well with the top off. And the beauty of an Ipod, is that you can remove it easily, each and every time you leave the vehicle. Theft is almost a non-issue with this set up.

If you are interested, I can take a couple of pics of my set-up.

I think when I bought the system, it was reduced to $79.99.

Good luck, and congrats on the new member of the family.

-Gary

scott
06-16-2009, 11:30 PM
i put mine in an ammo can chained to the interior tire mount. have some alpine marine speakes hanging from the rear hoop, i've a soft top

Tim Smith
06-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Geek eh? ;)

My second car stereo in as many years bit the dust and I was looking for something more. After not too much googling around for carputer, I found http://www.mp3car.com/ which has a great forum on this stuff.

I've had an old laptop in the rover for a few months now. Swapped out the hard drive for a solid state one and it's been rock stable from the get go. The set up right now is doing AM/FM (not to well though), MP3 music, WiFi when available, Bluetooth with the phone and other devices, GPS and of course all the other stuff you can do with a laptop. It's not perfect and it should be noted that this is still a test platform until I get all the right accessories figured out but so far so good. The system has seen a couple of big highway trips and so long as I use the kensington lock, I feel pretty safe about walking away from the truck for a few minutes.

What you would be interested in about all this is that I'm running a 700 watt inverter that not only powers the laptop but some old computer speakers. The speakers aren't too powerfull (30 watts maybe?) but they rock out pretty well. Right now, I'm running a soft top with the sides rolled up and even on the highway I can easily hear the music. I think that since the computer speakers are already in their own enclosure, they sound better than your typical car speakers. But that's probably me just touting the set up.

Any way, I'd suggest tying out an old set of computer speakers. Should plug right in to your ipod and you'd probably be amazed at how good they sound.

superstator
06-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Finally a thread to bring us geeks out of the woodwork!

I've been looking at the mp3car.com stuff for a while - I eventually want to put a Fusion Brain or some kind of microcontroller in along with a small pc and SSD for GPS, music, and data gathering. One thing about the inverters - consider that most electronics you'll use will ultimately need DC. There are several automotive DC/DC power supplies out there, and they will be much more efficient (and hence much easier on your alternator) than an inverter feeding an AC/DC supply. And if your electronics can run/charge via USB...

Tim Smith
06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Good point about the DC/DC converter. My set up is still in testing so all the gear is pretty much prototype testing equipment.

One of my problems about the converter is that this laptop has a rather large 150 watt power draw. The final speaker set will probably be near 100 watts. Are there DC/DC converters that can handle that kind of juice? Could you post some examples?

Also, the laptop is going to be 12v native so the converter wouldn't need to do much but isolate the power spikes but the speakers are about 14v native. Are there converters that will split power for two outputs or would one need to get a converter for each task?

superstator
06-17-2009, 03:04 PM
They've got a 220w on mp3car.com. 150w is probably your AC supply rating, though - actual DC usage should be much lower. Would be interesting to put an inductive meter on the power cable between the supply "brick" and the laptop itself, while you do some stress testing. Most computer power supplies are way overspecced - what kind of laptop is it?

http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_DSATX_p/pwr-023.htm

NickDawson
06-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Now we are talking!

I didn't want to go overboard after the recent posts about those magical Disco wipers...But here goes:

I was thinking about going the Carputer route as well. This is coming from a guy who installed a touch screen in the WC in our mast bath...so I'm not above geeking out on the rover. I've always wanted to do it but my daily driver is a recent BMW and I've been scared to modify anything there.

I have a spare Mac Mini and I love the idea of dropping an SSD in there and then mounting a cheap touch screen on the dash. There are theft and environmental concerns...

An inverter would open up a lot of options. I could use a cheap T-amp and some spare speakers I have ... What I really don't know about is the wiring.
I've looked at dc/dc boxes before - anything I need to know about the Lucas electrical system? Is it as easy as wiring through the spare switched fuse on the Series III?

superstator
06-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I think I'd add a new dedicated circuit with a modern fuse. You're easily getting into 15-20a with this stuff, and the last thing you want is creaky old Lucas electrics frying computer equipment that's potentially worth more than the truck it's installed in :D

I'll be very interested to see what you come up with in the dash - I've been contemplating for at least a year now how to best integrate something like that without it sticking out like a sore thumb. I picture something that would not look out of place in, say, a specially prepared 1960's Aston Martin.

wUG1GexVz2k

Sadly, I need to focus on humdrum stuff like properly running engines and tolerable suspension before I get to unleash my geekier plans on this poor truck.

Tim Smith
06-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Ouch! $160 for a bloody power supply? I didn't expect that. :(

It would be interesting to see what the laptop actually uses for power. Probably far less than what the power brick is rated for but I do know that the lesser DC/AC inverter won't handle the laptop. Not sure what that is rated for either so this doesn't really mean much.

The testing rig is a Dell Insperon laptop. I want to say that it's a 9200 series but it was a custom build from back when I was running a consulting business. The thing is big and heavy. Fast, but big and heavy. Not much use for it nowadays so that's why it's the test rig. The 19" screen is also pretty but it's way too much for a moving vehicle. Hardware specs are pretty impressive and along with a shaved down version of the OS and the SSD, it starts up in about 20 seconds which is better that the truck sometimes. Biggest problem is the lack of touch screen. While you are driving, it's pretty much not safe to do anything other than hit the volume keys.

Version 2 of this setup, coming sometime this summer, will use an old Shuttle XPC that I will bolt to the truck ;). It will have a small touch screen mounted somewhere off the dash (where rain won't fall on it) and will have a 4 speaker setup mounted in the four corners with a remote volume control. I imagine I'll still need a keyboard and other input devices so it will make heavy use of Bluetooth for that. Still a work in progress but it should be a fun project.

My truck has the battery in the center seat so I hook directly up to that with the inverter. When I get to the next stage, I'm thinking of setting up a main lead that will feed a capacitor on a relay (to smooth power spikes and hold enough for shut down procedures), the capacitor will hook right into the power supply and that would also be switched off the ignition. This means that turning the key on will give you an automatic computer start up and shutting it down will give you an automatic shut down while pulling power from the capacitor (since the battery was disconnected with the relay). If I wanted, it would be easy enough to trip the circuit with a toggle switch so I could run the computer while the ignition is off too.

Lots of ideas. Not enough time. :rolleyes:

South Larry
06-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Depending on your set up. (Ive mounted stereo equipment in a number of soft tops) I've always used Marine Stereo equipment as the weather gets to regular car stereo equipment at the worst possible time) I'd also suggest a removable faceplate on your stereo and that the speakers be attached in a way that they are untamperable. Behind the seats are not the best area and floor side or door are much better sounding. Somewhere in a box in the rear or both even better. Rovers gather a lot of attention and you dont want fingers in the vehicle....Have fun!!

navydevildoc
06-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Depending on your set up. (Ive mounted stereo equipment in a number of soft tops) I've always used Marine Stereo equipment as the weather gets to regular car stereo equipment at the worst possible time) I'd also suggest a removable faceplate on your stereo and that the speakers be attached in a way that they are untamperable. Behind the seats are not the best area and floor side or door are much better sounding. Somewhere in a box in the rear or both even better. Rovers gather a lot of attention and you dont want fingers in the vehicle....Have fun!!

I was in the middle of writing pretty much this when I saw it.

I am planning on putting in a Marine Grade radio... a buddy of mine put a new Kenwood KMR-700U in his D90. The exposed front panel is waterproof, and it has no moving parts as it is set up for iPod, AM/FM, and Sat Radio only. Since I never listen to CDs, I don't see any reason to have more parts to break.

As far as speakers go, also will be waterproof marine grade. Not exactly sure where I am going to put them yet, but I am considering building 2 tool/speaker/whatever boxes to sit on the rear tub wheel ledge right behind the two front seats. I could put the speakers on the top of the box, and maybe a small subwoofer coming out the side of one. Since the Kenwood radio I am looking at has some hideaway electronics that need to be installed somewhere, I figured I would dedicate one of those boxes to be the "electronics" box. Both would lock. I am worried that the sound won't be so great, but it's something I can play around with.

As far as GPS goes, I have my eye on a Lowrance HDS-5 Baja. Again, waterproof, and specifically designed for off-roading with normal street maps, topo maps, and even satellite imagery to help identify trails. Unfortunately, the HDS-5 is a prized asset down here in SoCal for use by many people, and I am really afraid of leaving it visible in the rover. Since I generally will leave the top off, it will only be a matter of time before it goes missing. So I really haven't cracked that nut yet.