PDA

View Full Version : timing question

siii8873
06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I was working on my 2.25 SIII timing today. I first static timed it w/ my ohmmeter. set distributor to fire on #1 cyl, set mark on pulley at 6deg BTDC (run mid range fuel about 90 oct), turned ign switch on and rotated distributor until multimeter sounded (can also see points spark w/ lights off).
I then fired up the truck and checked the timing w/ induction timing light.
It was at about 2deg BTDC. I reved it up and let it settle down a few times and it does not always level out at the same timing and it takes a while to settle out. It can change by about 6deg.
Is this normal or is there something else possibly going on, seems to run better except for a very lttle run on when I shut if off.
Bob

steveh
06-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Hi,
It is possible you have worn parts, play in the timing chain, worn cam, and so on. I have always set the timing by ear till I find the smoothest point and best response with throttle. This is because as the engine parts wear the 6 deg. is a reference point to start at.

siii8873
06-21-2009, 11:19 AM
I worked on the rover again. This time I static timed the enginge and then timed it by ear until it ran the best. It now idles better, runs smoother.

chester rides again
06-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Let's go Rovering!!! I just replaced my distributor with an electronic unit, and solved a long time hesitation that I' ve been dealing with. I've just bought a timing light to finish the job. Let me know if you want to get together and get real technical on the timing issue - or we could just drive to Geoffery's Pub.

Les Parker
06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I wish they would stop putting corn in their Shepherd's pie....

:(

junkyddog11
06-24-2009, 06:21 AM

.....too tight to pass the kernels?

Terrys
06-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Yeah, cheap canned peas are way better. Plenty of gravy too.

Les Parker
06-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Matt,

You know me too well !

:eek: