PDA

View Full Version : Surprise...synchro detent springs?

ybt502r
06-19-2009, 11:39 PM
I had a good/bad experience today with the SIII transmission. It's not been working quite right - hard shifting into/out of 2nd, plus every now and then it would drop out of 2nd gear on over run. I had synthetic oil in the gear box over the winter (needed for -20C), but I decided to "upgrade" back to mineral 90W (like the designer intended) in hopes that this might satisfy the Transmission God.

When draining the transmission, I had a "klink klunk" sound when the plug was pulled - a noise not usually associated with smooth flowing synthetic 90W. Fishing around, I found two bits of spring steel, like for a clip. Further investigating with the parts manual has led me to realise that I have a broken detent spring in the synchomesh - one of three in there I believe:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/searchadv.aspx?SearchTerm=RTC1956&Issubmit=True

It would appear that the spring steel snapped in two.

Looking at the parts diagram leads me to suspect that the only way to get to this $2 clip is to pull the transmission and take large bits of it apart. As I have no hoist, this is not good news. I can still drive the Rover, more or less, but just not as smoothly.

Am I right in my analysis of how to replace this clip? Anyone done this before who could give me some insight ("sure, no problem" preferable to "don't event think about it")? What happens if I just keep driving?

gudjeon
06-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I am not familiar with dismantling the ser3 transmission, but from rebuilding the ser2 version, it is not as daunting as I first thought. No hoist? No problem. Take up the floor, seat box and transmission tunnel. It can be removed from the top. I remove transmission and transfer case in one piece. A long pipe with the trans tied/chained to it and a couple of helpers. The military version has a removable crossmember that would facilitate lowering the assembly.

Read the manual word for word and you can't go wrong.

This is one of those jobs where you start to replace things like clutch and pressure plate because while you're this far.......:thumb-up:

scatterling
06-20-2009, 05:58 AM
You don't need to remove the gearbox to replace the springs. It's not easy but it can be done ( I've had to do it on 2 trucks already!)

http://www.4wdonline.com/LandRover/Series/Mech/SynchroClips.html

Do yourself a favour though and buy a few more springs to 'practice' with. You will bend one or two before you get the hang of getting the clip in.

scatterling
06-20-2009, 06:33 AM
here is some more info. sorry about the format. It's from an old PM that I deleted but had a printed copy
http://picasaweb.google.com/scatterlingSA/DetentSprings#

Hope this helps!! good luck

ybt502r
06-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks, this sure looks to help. Any concerns with driving it until I can get the parts and the time?

The only curiosity in all this...these are the 3rd/4th syncho clips, so the failing of these clips should make the 3/4 shifts harder - but my 3/4 shifts are fine (so far) and it's 2nd gear that's giving me issues. Might this imply other (not evident through bits in the oil) problems with the transmission? Am I perhaps looking at multiple issues, which kind of leads to the possibility of needing a rebuild or so?

This unit was rebuilt (as I was told) back about 8 years ago before I got it. Never given me any issues until it's started to give me issues, but that's how these things go. I suppose I'll try to replace the clips, since it can be done in situ, and then see how it runs. Thanks for the help - it looks spot on.

sven
06-20-2009, 11:27 AM
The only curiosity in all this...these are the 3rd/4th syncho clips, so the failing of these clips should make the 3/4 shifts harder - but my 3/4 shifts are fine (so far) and it's 2nd gear that's giving me issues. Might this imply other (not evident through bits in the oil) problems with the transmission? Am I perhaps looking at multiple issues, which kind of leads to the possibility of needing a rebuild or so?

Yes Im afraid you are right. Those springs are for 3rd/4th. Your 2nd gear issue is probably a seperate problem.

Rebuilding these units is really not too bad. Im on my 2nd right now. Parts are going to cost me around $200 to rebuild it myself. Too special tools are needed and no machining is required either.