PDA

View Full Version : Stupid late night driving

Clembs
06-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Yeah around 2:30 tonight after driving a couple friends off I said the famous redneck words, "hey watch this" as i attempted to pull off and cherp my tires. After revving up the rpms i dumped the clutch and BANG.

Nothing.

Engine still running, Clutch still seemed to have good compression for a '67 SIIA. No grinding or random smoke, parts, heat? But no motion. I laughed like crazy and figured it's the output shaft. I laugh bc i have been toying with the idea of a new trans. I then said i'll just lock the hubs and see if i have front wheel. Things were great! for the front and i drove home in four high. It ran as well as rear wheel.

Any other ideas other that rear output?. Drive shaft looked fine and no motion at all on the rear so that is all i can think of. My fairy still worked for the front.

Mudtub
06-20-2009, 05:31 AM
Rear axel shaft, or rear diff. Simple fix

navydevildoc
06-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Yeah, rear axle. Happened to me just a few months ago.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6149

TeriAnn
06-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah around 2:30 tonight after driving a couple friends off I said the famous redneck words, "hey watch this" as i attempted to pull off and cherp my tires. After revving up the rpms i dumped the clutch and BANG. Nothing.
<<SNIP>>

Any other ideas other that rear output?

I take it that you are newish to Series Land Rovers. You have just found the weakest part of a Series Land Rover (except SIII 109's, One-Tons and forward controls) ... The rear axle shafts.

You broke one, replace both because the second one is not far behind. If you are lucky the shaft broke at the edge of the outer spline. That means a quick swap with a few minutes cleaning out metal chips.

If you're not lucky the axle broke at the inside spline. Then you will need to drop the diff to clean chips out.

If you are very unlucky, the chips broke a tooth in the ring & pinion gear and the inside broken end is long enough to keep you from being able to pull out the diff.

When you break an axle it is SOP to immediately remove both rear axles (unless you are driving an early SI) and drop the rear propshaft (if it is an inside end axle break) before proceeding home. Loose chips from an inside axle break get churned up by the sloshing oil and often get between the ring and pinion gears causing them to break. A half hour or so at the time of a break can save you several hundred dollars if you have a break at the inside end of the axle. You don't know which end is broken until you pull the axles.

Tyre chirping should be reserved for hardened 24 spline axles or bigger. And never utter "Hey watch this". Thats right up there with "Look it's perfectly safe" and beaming down to a planet wearing a red shirt.

I went through 7 rear axles before deciding to invest in a Salisbury.

scott
06-20-2009, 11:43 AM
navydoc can confirm this, everything that goes badly in the navy is preceded by an ensign saying, "i think...", a lieutenant commander saying, "In my experience..." or a chief saying, "watch this sh..."

terri ann covered almost all of it. but my experience was the spider gear shaft snapping. axle shafts had to be replaced as the splines were twisted but i was lucky and the ring and pinion gears were spared

and the worse part, i did it on a off road hill climb. had to roll backwards down a scary steep trail, then i couldn't get it out of low range and drove 30 miles home in low range, top speed of 20 mph in 4th gear.

Clembs
06-20-2009, 12:14 PM
yep axel shaft. Thankfully i have 2 matching gear diffs sitting over at a shop waiting to be swapped when needed and a friend who has about 10 half shafts, from 24 spline/ GreatBasin axel upgrades. So i might not have to pay anything. I know the 10s go out but at 2:30 this morning i thought there would be grinding from the rear and a friend said i was getting no movement from my drive shaft. I will take them out today and fishout bits or drop the diff and clean it up. Thanks for the help and i wish GB still made those chromo shafts. Anyone have a set they are trying to pawn? I know Merc Rover has his, i just have some other places to spend $600 before i get to those. (would actually do 24spl if getting them).

Thanks again

Clembs
06-21-2009, 10:26 PM
just finished fixing the rover and it ended up being the rotary gurter. didn't see that coming

SafeAirOne
06-22-2009, 08:00 AM
just finished fixing the rover and it ended up being the rotary gurter. didn't see that coming

"Rotary gurter?" I'll have to get my green bible out and look that one up...

Andrew IIA
06-22-2009, 08:40 AM
"Rotary gurter?" I'll have to get my green bible out and look that one up...

Had to research that one myself...

1.a term used when a person is referring to something technical about which he has no real knowledge.
2.often used in a response to the question "What were you doing?"

Originally used in the movie "Tommy Boy" with Chris Farley.
Q:"Hey, do you know what's wrong with my computer?"
A:Yeah just a second I think there may be a problem with the rotary girder.

Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW

Clembs
06-24-2009, 07:19 PM
glad someone else has seen "Tommy Boy"

Oh yeah im still looking for a Great basin Short rear half shaft if anyone has one lying around. I have the long shaft but the short was broken long ago. (obviously not by me)