PDA

View Full Version : Synchro Unit

JackIIA
06-20-2009, 09:38 AM
I have a bad habit of hijacking threads on forums, so thought I'd repost under a separate thread...

Do any of you replace troublefree synchro springs as part of a rebuild?

I've got my IIA transmission apart but don't remember any issues with the synchro (when last driven so long ago).

Is this the equivalent of changing detent springs, seals, etc as part of a normal rebuild??

Lastly, is there a way to 'test' the synchro unit? Mine takes minimal effort to slide the center gear between the two rings, after an initial hesitation moving out of it's groove, beyond that sanity check, I have no idea...

gudjeon
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
This is one component I have never have never had to replace during a tranny rebuild. If it works and the brass part that rides on the cone is not worn, I put it back. I rebuilt my ser1 tranny based on the philosophy, and I have been good for 5 years since. After 51 years of service, it keeps on going in my daily driver.:thumb-up:

sven
06-20-2009, 11:30 AM
The last set of syncro springs I got were too long and didnt really fit right, so we just left the old ones in. They looked fine.

The ones I bought were aftermarket and not from RN. If RN has genuine ones, Id go for those.

JackIIA
06-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks. That's one less thing to do!