X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superstator
    2nd Gear
    • Aug 2008

What's this doohickey?

While installing my freshly rebuilt head (which has made a HUGE difference so far, and I don't even have the timing dialed back in), curiosity finally got the better of me.

What the heck is this, and is it supposed to be there? It's welded onto the oil filler tube / crankcase breather and looks like a brass L from an air hose, connected to a few inches of vacuum tubing, with a bolt clamped into the end to plug it. I've always assumed it was an aborted experiment by a PO, but while I was reconnecting the valve cover breather it made me wonder...
    '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.
  • navydevildoc
    1st Gear
    • Feb 2009

I am going to guess aborted PCV type setup to try and reduce the oil vapors coming out of the breather.
    2005 LR3
    1965 RHD Series IIA currently aka "The hope crusher"

Comment

• LaneRover
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

A tool for oiling up the threads of suspension shackle bolts?
      1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
      1965 109 SW - nearly running well
      1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
      1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• 4flattires
        4th Gear
        • Aug 2007

Well....

..at minimum I would align those hose clamps in a perpendicular semi-gradiant quadratic pattern in order to ward off the Feng Shui spirits from robbing you of any more unneccesary horsepower.

Are you missing the rubber valve cover grommets and shoulder washers under that acorn nut?

Jeff
        64 SIIa 109 all stock
        69 SIIa 88 all stock
        Old tractors
        New Harleys
        Old trucks

Comment

• Andrew IIA
          3rd Gear
          • Feb 2008

I am going to guess aborted PCV type setup to try and reduce the oil vapors coming out of the breather.
          My guess too.

Are you missing the rubber valve cover grommets and shoulder washers under that acorn nut?
          Good spotting !

Best regards, Andrew
          '63 SIIA 88' SW
          Andrew
          '63 SIIA 88" SW

http://hungrynaturalist.blogspot.com/

Rover Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkal...7610584998247/

Comment

• Tim Smith
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Looks like a diesel. My guess is that the previous owner had a boost set up off the crank fumes.

Drive along like normal until you need to pass that donkey cart, open the valve (this line would be piped to the intake with a standard valve on a tether) and voom! Close the valve as soon as you've passed that donkey because you're eating your own lubricant.

Too much high speed driving like this and you'll have to start watching your fluid levels.

Comment

• superstator
              2nd Gear
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 4flattires
              ..at minimum I would align those hose clamps in a perpendicular semi-gradiant quadratic pattern in order to ward off the Feng Shui spirits from robbing you of any more unneccesary horsepower.

Jeff
              It had lockwashers before I disassembled, and I just hadn't hit the hardware store yet to pick up some new ones. But rubber grommets? Do you have a photo maybe of the correct setup? I've still got to take the cover back off and retorque the head bolts, so may as well put it back together right when I'm done...

Comment

• superstator
                2nd Gear
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tim Smith
                Looks like a diesel. My guess is that the previous owner had a boost set up off the crank fumes.

Drive along like normal until you need to pass that donkey cart, open the valve (this line would be piped to the intake with a standard valve on a tether) and voom! Close the valve as soon as you've passed that donkey because you're eating your own lubricant.

Too much high speed driving like this and you'll have to start watching your fluid levels.
                Yes, diesel. Would piping in the crank vapors in really give you much extra oomph? It would explain a lot about the condition of the engine when I started this project...

Comment

• Tim Smith
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

They don't call them oil burners for nothing. Typically this condition comes from turbo seal failure which I know you don't have but if you were connect the crankcase breather to the intake you could produce a runaway diesel.

It's not really clear with the below video but this poor fellow seems to be dealing with a runaway diesel himself. You'll notice that when he pops the hood, he's trying to manually stop fuel flow to the motor with the lever he's pushing but with no luck. He probably had the ignition off at this point too but since it was simply running on it's own oil that wouldn't matter. It's a runaway diesel.

I wonder if this would still be a problem if you ran your diesel on 100% synthetic oil.

Comment

• Andrew IIA
                    3rd Gear
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by superstator
                    It had lockwashers before I disassembled, and I just hadn't hit the hardware store yet to pick up some new ones. But rubber grommets? Do you have a photo maybe of the correct setup? I've still got to take the cover back off and retorque the head bolts, so may as well put it back together right when I'm done...
                    Here you go.

Regards, Andrew
                    '63 SIIA 88"SW
                    Andrew
                    '63 SIIA 88" SW

http://hungrynaturalist.blogspot.com/

Rover Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkal...7610584998247/

Comment

Working...