X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tsmith
    1st Gear
    • Jun 2009

Wiper motors SII

I took the original motors and drive mechanisms apart, cleaned out the grease and repacked everything....and they actually WORK! The grease was probably 48 years old.

I think they work fine, but I'm told I have pretty low expectations.

I am no slave to originality, but I'd like to paint the little gearcases before I do the final mounting and might as well do it correctly. What paint I could scrape off seemed to be black with a wrinkle finish. I can repeat that. Is that correct?

T Smith
    '60 SII 88"
    Tom Smith
    '60 88" driver
    '53 80" project
    '60 Morgan drver
    '60 Morgan project
    33 Farmall F12
  • leafsprung
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

Hey, the black isnt correct. They originally had a clear coat with a goldish/bronze tinge to it.

-Ike

Comment

• LaneRover
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

Was the goldish/bronze tinge original or did the clearcoat yellow with age?

Brent
      1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
      1965 109 SW - nearly running well
      1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
      1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• leafsprung
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

original. Every new one Ive seen has that same finish. It doesnt seem to change color (unless it does so immediately) from the first 88 inch series one to the last 67 SIIA. Its not yellow either, its a very subtle bronze metallic sheen.

Comment

• Eric W S
          5th Gear
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by leafsprung
          original. Every new one Ive seen has that same finish. It doesnt seem to change color (unless it does so immediately) from the first 88 inch series one to the last 67 SIIA. Its not yellow either, its a very subtle bronze metallic sheen.
          Ike,

Would a candy/cearcoat replicate this?

Comment

• Tsmith
            1st Gear
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by leafsprung
            Hey, the black isnt correct. They originally had a clear coat with a goldish/bronze tinge to it.

-Ike
            Thank you, Ike.

There was a finsh called "hammerite" in a bronze color . I think early MG's and pre-war Riley's had on several metal parts, including the wiper gearboxes. I wonder if that is what I should be looking for?

Tom Smith
            Tom Smith
            '60 88" driver
            '53 80" project
            '60 Morgan drver
            '60 Morgan project
            33 Farmall F12

Comment

• Eric W S
              5th Gear
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Tsmith
              Thank you, Ike.

There was a finsh called "hammerite" in a bronze color . I think early MG's and pre-war Riley's had on several metal parts, including the wiper gearboxes. I wonder if that is what I should be looking for?

Tom Smith
              We’ve been pioneering a world of possibilities to bring surfaces to life for well over 200 years. As experts in making coatings, there’s a good chance you’re only ever a few meters away from one of our products. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. We’re active in more than 150 countries and have set our sights on becoming the global industry leader. It’s what you’d expect from the most sustainable paints company, which has been inventing the future for more than two centuries.

Hammerite is brand. Never heard it refered to as a finish. It's nowhere close to the original treatment, at least not what they are offering today.

Comment

• Tsmith
                1st Gear
                • Jun 2009

While somewhat off my original question, in the fifties, I think Hammerite was to the UK, what Rust-oleum was here. a rust preventative, but it had a finish between "wrinkled" and smooth. I had a heater in a Hillman (not a Smith's, but similar) that had the paint I am referring to. I may still have the part around somewhere.

Anyhow, I'll pait the boxes with a bronze spray and be done with it. It is raining here in CT and the wipers work quite well....but my other car is a Morgan of similar vintage. As I said, I have low expectations.

Thanks for the help.
                Tom Smith
                '60 88" driver
                '53 80" project
                '60 Morgan drver
                '60 Morgan project
                33 Farmall F12

Comment

• S11A
                  2nd Gear
                  • Apr 2007

Hi,

Eastwood has a lot of paints and coatings meant to replicate original colors for these sorts of parts. The one I was thinking of is their Golden Cadmium kit, but after looking at their web site, it isn't an exact match.

Still, search their site for similar paints - you might find one that is closer.
                  1965 Series 2A 109 pickup diesel

Comment

• S11A
                    2nd Gear
                    • Apr 2007

This one is too bright (Silver Cad):

Maybe one of the lighter ones here?:

Or maybe one of the hweel paints:

1965 Series 2A 109 pickup diesel

Comment

Working...