PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild Parts

Nill
06-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Doing an engine rebuild, and noticing a huge difference in price over our host and others (mainly Brit Pac) with the later being the less expensive option. Is there a huge difference in quality or something? Just wondering before I dump my life savings on parts.

Neil

msggunny
06-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Check to see if the "latter" are genuine LR parts or not.

There are several other sites out there that have quality parts too, but seeing as bashing our host on their prices here seems a bit disrespectful i wont do it.

That being said, when i rebuilt my SIII (which seems to be a never ending process) i have found several parts cheaper here than at other places.

Plus for some parts i would rather pay a bit more for genuine than for something that could have been made to a lesser standard in some dingy dirty shop in India....

109 Pretender
06-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Neil,
Genuine LR parts are generally more expensive - same for any car manufacturer really... What you need to weigh is whether that particuliar part is worth the extra cost. Some aftermarket parts are fine, others are not. Experience teaches us all over time how to sift through that maze. RN has always taken the track of trying to provide the best genuine factory parts where poss. but they also have the less expensive Pro-line when saving a few bucks makes sense.

In my short 54 years I have found that I usually get what I pay for no matter what the item. For instance-I just changed out the f/r shocks on my FJ. Factory shocks were horrible (changed them to Bilsteins after less than a month). Now 2 years later I just threw the Bilsteins away - they were "ok" but still not what I was looking for ride wise. Well, I just installed Fox Pro Racing shocks w/external reservoirs and the difference is unreal. The cost difference was "otherwordly" but you know what - I got what I paid for and now I'm satisfied. Plus the racing shocks can be rebuilt.
Internal engine and trans parts I would go factory wherever possible unless an aftermarket part was proven to be better.

Good Luck!

SafeAirOne
06-23-2009, 08:12 AM
If it's something you don't want to fix later, use the genuine parts and pay somewhat more. If you don't mind replacing the part again in the next week, month or year, use BritPart stuff. Ask me how I know...

Like msggunny says, there's a time for BritPart stuff and there's a time for genuine stuff. You have to figure out which is which.

There are other folks selling genuine parts out there, and their prices are pretty similar to our host's prices.

gudjeon
06-23-2009, 08:27 AM
The motor is one area that I will go for genuine parts every time. This is coming from someone that is cheap.:thumb-up:
The exception is piston rings. Hastings works for me. Doing it yourself, you know what's in there.

Bertha
06-23-2009, 08:40 AM
BRIT PART= $HIT PART! Dont waste the money especially on your motor-go with genuine.

greenmeanie
06-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I'll throw in something from left field here. I'd say it depends on what you are doing with a rebuild. If you are paying a machine shop to bore and hone the cylinder, grind and balance the crank etc. I'd give them the opportunity to source things like bearings themselves. I know when I did the V8 for my 101 I bought a set of genuine crank bearings and had to throw them away as they were horrible. I let the machine shop do his thing and got a nice set of sealed power ones for less. The advantage here is that a good shop will finish grind and hone to achieve the proper fits if they have the parts.

Beyond that I'd agree with the above.

Eric W S
06-23-2009, 10:59 AM
He also didn't say Brit part. He said Brit Pac as in British Pacific. Although another vendor, they also carry quality parts if you know what you are looking for. A good example is Mintex Brake Pads and Lines, Lucas branded items etc...

Ask if it is geniune then make your detemination. If you can ascertain that it's a OEM part without LR pakaging, then buy it. No need to pay for the green ink.

SafeAirOne
06-23-2009, 09:17 PM
He also didn't say Brit part. He said Brit Pac as in British Pacific.

I copied that--My reference to BritPart was just an example of an aftermarket brand, like Allmakes and others. It just happens that BritPart parts have failed on me EVERY SINGLE TIME I have used them, from clutch master cylinders to engine air intake hoses (yes--even the air intake hose failed!).

scott
06-23-2009, 09:42 PM
I copied that--My reference to BritPart was just an example of an aftermarket brand, like Allmakes and others. It just happens that BritPart parts have failed on me EVERY SINGLE TIME I have used them, from clutch master cylinders to engine air intake hoses (yes--even the air intake hose failed!).

mark you're looking at it all wrong...britbits have afforded you numerous skill building opportunities. some folks will only get to make some of those repairs once in a life time

Tim Smith
06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
...to engine air intake hoses (yes--even the air intake hose failed!).You installed it backwards. :p

TeriAnn
06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
He also didn't say Brit part. He said Brit Pac as in British Pacific. Although another vendor, they also carry quality parts if you know what you are looking for. A good example is Mintex Brake Pads and Lines, Lucas branded items etc...

Ask if it is geniune then make your detemination. If you can ascertain that it's a OEM part without LR pakaging, then buy it. No need to pay for the green ink.

British Pacific has access to the all the Genuine Land Rover parts that are currently available, the same as Rover's North. So you can compare genuine to genuine for price. I think an advantage that Rovers North has is that they tend to carry a greater depth of stock so when a genuine part goes NLA, Rovers North is likely to have it in stock longer then British Pacific will.

An advantage to British Pacific is that when looking at OEM and aftermarket parts they will be happy to tell you who made the part. You won't be wondering what's behind a house brand name. usually your choices are Genuine, OEM and Allmakes. Of course there are also the specialty brands such as ARB, Old Man Emu and Rocky Mountain parabolic springs.

Eric W S
06-24-2009, 12:05 PM

Ouch. roger that though. Avoid Britpart. Its no wonder why UK restorations suck:thumb-up: