PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Disaster

navydevildoc
06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
OK guys, I need some help.

I just picked my rear axle up from the powder coaters. They decided to sandblast the entire axle, including the axle shaft and inside the hubs where the bearing races go (called the "bearing sleeve" in the green bible). I didn't notice until we had gotten home.

Now, the axle and hubs look really pretty, but I have a feeling that they are now completely useless because the blasted away at the bearing sleeves, which means the bearings will spin. They are no longer nice smooth shafts, they have a fine sandblasted texture to them.

There is a reason why I vacillate between calling this truck "The Antichrist" and "The Hope Crusher".

Has anyone had this happen to them, and were they able to still have a functioning axle?

Jim-ME
06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
The races can be replaced although I have not done it. I'd use a sealer and I think you'll be OK.
Jim

navydevildoc
06-23-2009, 06:14 PM
The races can be replaced although I have not done it. I'd use a sealer and I think you'll be OK.
Jim

Yeah, I have new races, it is where they press fit into on the hub that I am worried about. I don't think they are going to be a nice tight fit anymore.

leafsprung
06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
You should measure them before proclaiming a calamity. Its not your truck's fault you are a drama queen :D

navydevildoc
06-23-2009, 06:23 PM
You should measure them before proclaiming a calamity. Its not your truck's fault you are a drama queen :D

So helpful... :p I want my axles... I WANT THEM NOW NOW NOW! :D

So do you know what widths they should be? Green Bible does not say.

leafsprung
06-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Measure the bearing race, then measure the hub. The bearing race should be an interference fit. Interference fit on a 3-4 inch hole is normally .0060 to .0080 with a tolerance of .0020.

navydevildoc
06-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, it's hard to measure the smaller "outer" bearing area on the hub since my micrometer doesn't have long feelers to reach in to the shouldered area.

But the larger section, I have a hub race outer diameter of 3.347", and the hub sleeve area is 3.3485". Unless I screwed that up, it's OK according to what you say.

The green bible says that the bearing sleeve for the axle shaft just needs to be a "sliding fit", as opposed to the "press fit" on the hub bearings. That seems to imply a larger tolerance is allowed. Opinions?

gudjeon
06-23-2009, 07:23 PM
If you are talking about the area on the stub shaft that the bearings sit on? Just polish them up with a very fine emery and all will be good again. I would not be too worried.:thumb-up:

leafsprung
06-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Use a bore gauge to measure deeper holes in the hubs. Sliding fit is approx .0025 to -0005. The fit on the axle collar is not super critical it serves to support the axle shaft but doesn't see much load. If you are concerned about it a new collar is like 25 bucks. Cutting the old ones off is fun. Crisis averted.:eek:

junkyddog11
06-24-2009, 06:20 AM

that's the funniest thing I've read all day......come to think of it...it's the first thing I've read all day. Off to a good start, thanks Ike.