PDA

View Full Version : Newby Tranny question Series III

mtcook72
06-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Owned my SIII for a week now. Shifting is very odd. There is like 2feet of play left to right. Reverse is easy to find. First is a slight pop. When finding second the stick can move so far down and left ( like across my lap) it seems impossible. Third is like first and forth seems normal. Where do I start??? Sorry for the vague question. :confused:

leafsprung
06-24-2009, 11:19 AM
inspect it for damage, wear or missing parts :thumb-up:

Les Parker
06-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Also check to make sure the gear lever is secure in the ball socket at the base of the lever, they have been known to vibrate loose, just needs a tack weld to secure it.

Apis Mellifera
06-24-2009, 06:23 PM
There is also a 1/4-28 tapped hole on the RH side of the aluminum ball socket on the shift turret. It should have a set screw that locates the shifter lever via a slot milled in the ball. Absence of this little screw will produce similar results as described.

mtcook72
06-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks to all of you. Unfortunately I keep this new toy/obsession in my home in VT and can't have a look for two weeks. This site is great and productivity at work is suffering accordingly! The new rig has a name and its Vera Lynn a Sandstone 72 series III. I will post a few pics soon. Cheers