PDA

View Full Version : Sherardizing in the US.

Eric W S
06-25-2009, 01:38 PM
http://www.chemplateindustries.com/

Finally! Sherardising has returned to the US. I'll report how the process comes out. Still bagging bolts and need to finalize some details with them...

Supposedly more environmentally friendly than galv and the process is supposedly better at corrosion resistence. I really don't care. I am just looking for the correct look myself...

Blueboy
06-26-2009, 07:43 AM
one of the main benefits is threads do not get "clogged" with zinc during the process.

nice find.

Jaime

KevinNY
06-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Neat but will they do small batches?

frans
06-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Huh, thanks for the info. I have never heard of this process before

Sherardising
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sherardising or sherardizing is a method of galvanising also called vapour galvanising. It is named for its discoverer Sherard Cowper-Coles (1900).[1] A layer of zinc is applied to the metal target object by heating the object in an airtight container with zinc powder. The temperature that the container reaches does not exceed the melting point of zinc. Another method of sherardisation is to expose the intended objects to vapour from molten zinc using a reducing gas to prevent oxidation.
Sherardising is ideal for small parts and parts that require coating of inner surfaces, such as batches of small items. The original system was quite complicated and expensive; however, today there are new systems in use which are simple, cost effective, and relatively environmentally friendly.

Bertha
06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I have never heard of this process before

It is what all the hardware on every Land Rover for the first 35 years of production were coated with.

luckyjoe
06-27-2009, 12:01 PM
And the hardware, supports and hinges for the Series Upper tailgate...

Tom P.

SafeAirOne
08-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Eric, Did you ever find out anything more about this? Minimum batch size, etc?

Eric W S
08-04-2009, 08:13 AM
It's been on the list. Let me call them today. I got sidetracked with a nice 2.5L motor that went up for sale recently and a company that recasts steering wheels as oppposed to painting and epoxy. Urythane.

EwS

Eric W S
08-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Small batches acceptable. I confirmed that they will do a small run for bolts. They have done smaller orders of 4-5 pounds and have a smaller machine for that purpose. I will have some sent over about fourth week in August, so I'll post up the results.

SafeAirOne
08-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Small batches acceptable. I confirmed that they will do a small run for bolts. They have done smaller orders of 4-5 pounds and have a smaller machine for that purpose. I will have some sent over about fourth week in August, so I'll post up the results.

Hmm....[Sound of wheels turning in the background]

SafeAirOne
12-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Eric--Did you ever get your parts Armor-Galved (Sheridized)? I'm curious about the results and costs and any other details...

amcordo
12-22-2009, 09:58 AM
...so the rusty messes that are the metal parts of my land rover were originally Sherardized? I thought they were coated in a protective salt solution then dried in a cup of citrus juice with alakaline batteries for ice cubes.

It is what all the hardware on every Land Rover for the first 35 years of production were coated with.

Bertha
12-22-2009, 10:03 AM
...so the rusty messes that are the metal parts of my land rover were originally Sherardized? I thought they were coated in a protective salt solution then dried in a cup of citrus juice with alakaline batteries for ice cubes.

Sounds like you need some stainless steel hardware ;)

amcordo
09-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Bump?

Eric W S
09-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Bump?

Ike just finished my Bulkhead so it'll be soon. Want to get that mounted first.