PDA

View Full Version : bulkhead repair, bulkhead corner pictures?

jcasteel
06-27-2009, 01:35 AM
In anticipation of a bulkhead repair does anybody have actual pictures of the bulkhead corner pieces? Maybe welded in or held next to a bulkhead.

Part numbers:
Part#: CHAS36 LH side
Part#: CHAS35 RH side

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-3182-repair-piece-rh-bulkhead-series-iia-iii.aspx

I am trying to determine if these will replace enough of the damage.

Thanks in advance.

John
file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

leafsprung
06-27-2009, 11:52 AM
measure what you need to replace, then call and get the dimensions of the repair panel

Bertha
06-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Post up a picture of the area you want to replace and I will let you know if they will work for you. I have 2 laying around somewher never used because I ended up fabricating my own pieces.

jcasteel
06-27-2009, 10:43 PM
If the attachment works here is an image of the damaged area. This is the original bulkhead off of the early IIa (#20) and I'd like to save it. I have another bulkhead on the vehicle now so I have all the time in the world for this attempt. I may try to find someone with a bulkhead upper and try to marry the two. Thoughts?

The rest of the bulkhead is in very good shape except for the posts.

Bertha
06-28-2009, 06:31 AM
If I am seeing the picture correctly, there is a small hole over your ruler. It also appears someone has been there before with a welder. Is that what you are looking to repair, or is the area where the hinge attaches to also rotted? It is hard to make out what exactly needs to be replaced with all that surface rust. Are you going to sandblast that before you start fixing it?

jcasteel
06-29-2009, 05:09 AM
I'll be studying for Anatomy exams until Wednesday. I'll clean up the rust and get a better picture.

What you see are not welds, or they don't appear to be. It appears that there is a "rib" under the bulkhead at those lines. A PO took a hammer and beat the snot out of the metal. Of course I won't know for sure until I remove some metal there.

If you look at the links for the replacement panels they cover a portion of this area but I don't know how much they will cover. Hence the original question. For me this will be a difficult repair but I think that it is entirely possible.

I'll have a better pic later this week.

Bertha
06-29-2009, 06:39 AM
I'll be studying for Anatomy exams until Wednesday. I'll clean up the rust and get a better picture.

What you see are not welds, or they don't appear to be. It appears that there is a "rib" under the bulkhead at those lines. A PO took a hammer and beat the snot out of the metal. Of course I won't know for sure until I remove some metal there.

If you look at the links for the replacement panels they cover a portion of this area but I don't know how much they will cover. Hence the original question. For me this will be a difficult repair but I think that it is entirely possible.

I'll have a better pic later this week.

There are no ribs in that section of the bulkhead-I think you will find that once you remove some of the rust, you will find some welding done by the PO. PM sent.