PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Issues

JayGoss
06-28-2009, 11:15 PM
hey folks,

I've been having some issues with fuel supply. I have a recently restored Series II with all new fuel lines, new Solex, new (Proline) fuel pump, etc (basically everything is brand new or rebuilt). The rover idles great at 550 rpm as it should- and will run all day at idle like that. When I blip the throttle it revs as it should and doesn't sputter. The problem is when I take it out for a drive- when I pop it into gear, give it gas and take off it launches a few feet then completely dies. The problem seems to be exacerbated when starting off on inclines/declines. I then have to turn it over and over- or manually pump the fuel pump to make it start again. So far I've replaced the fuel pump and carburetor and checked the siphon hose screen from the gas tank- but the problem persists. I'm thinking that the float level may not be correct in the car- it's almost as if the carb is storing an insufficient amount of fuel that is dumped when I hit the gas- then it runs out and I have to prime it again to get the rover started. Any ideas as to what this could be- and how I could fix it? Adjust float level maybe?

TeriAnn
06-29-2009, 09:02 AM
hey folks,

I've been having some issues with fuel supply. I have a recently restored Series II with all new fuel lines, new Solex, new (Proline) fuel pump, etc (basically everything is brand new or rebuilt). The rover idles great at 550 rpm as it should- and will run all day at idle like that. When I blip the throttle it revs as it should and doesn't sputter. The problem is when I take it out for a drive- when I pop it into gear, give it gas and take off it launches a few feet then completely dies.

First let me suggest that you check the point gap. Points these days are really poor quality. Much worse then when the vehicles were new. Many ignition problems and fuel problems present the same symptoms and it is too easy to get focused on one and ignore the other. So take a moment out to make sure that your points have not slipped and that you are getting a good hot spark.

That said I recommend that you install a 'T' at the inlet of your carb and one of those small fuel pressure gauges. That will tell you at a glance if your delivery system is keeping up with or overwhelming your carb. A valuable tool for diagnosing fuel related problems. Land rovers have a high volume low pressure system. You never want to see the fuel pressure drop below2 lbs pressure at high RPMs.

If it is your carb it would have to be the cruse circuit. From your description the idle and accelerator circuits are working fine.

Bertha
06-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Check the fuel pressure to the carb if you can. It is not uncommon to get a dud fuel pump these days. I had a similar problem not to long ago and it turned out to be the fuel pump.

JayGoss
06-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks TeriAnn and Bertha- I think a fuel pressure gauge is a great idea. I have some time off towards the end of the week with the goal of getting the Rover running. I'll install a gauge and make sure I have >/= 2lbs. One thing I left out was that I have a Pertronix electronic ignition installed- so that should rule out points/ignition issue (I would think). Thanks again for the replies.

mechman
06-29-2009, 05:21 PM
If you still have the old pump, you might want to pull the new one and compare the drive levers. I've seen new pumps that had a much shallower pitch to the drive lever than the old one, causing it to not achieve a full stroke when the cam engages it.

leafsprung
06-29-2009, 05:23 PM
If you suspect the float level, check it, it only takes a few minutes . . .