PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Distance Driving Question

amcordo
06-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi All!

I'm going to be picking up my first Series III 109 shortly and will be driving it about 300 miles back home. I'm incredibly excited! The vehicle itself is in great condition.

Any suggestions from anyone as to anything I need to pay attention to on the trip back? I.e. fluid levels, etc.

Thanks!
Anthony

scott
06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
check for a jack. 780 mile trip home after my purchase and found myself in the middle of oklahoma, 1100 at night, huge whole in sidewall and no jack

gudjeon
06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Just make sure your right ankle is up for the angle it will stay at for a long journey. The accelerator pedal is what gets me on a long trip.:(

Andrew IIA
06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Any suggestions from anyone as to anything I need to pay attention to on the trip back?

Bring you're up-to-date AAA card and a roll of paper towels. These are two most useful things you can have with you.

Enjoy the new ride :thumb-up:

Best regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW

amcordo
06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
I understand the AAA in case it explodes, but paper towels? Do tell!

Bring you're up-to-date AAA card and a roll of paper towels. These are two most useful things you can have with you.

Enjoy the new ride :thumb-up:

Best regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW

LaneRover
06-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Bring clothes for both warm - and cold.

More time to drive the 300 miles than you would in a modern vehicle.

ScottT
06-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I bought my 109 in Florida, outside Miami and drove it back to Michigan, outside Detroit, in two days without any issues. I considered getting and carrying spare axles before the trip, having had an 88 and snapped many axles, but this wasn't needed due to the truck having a Salisbury rear end.

We (my girlfriend, now wife) made the trip w/o any issues.
I did find a baggie of weed on the sill panel behind the drivers head while stretching in line at a McDonalds in Georgia. Needless to say, we trashed the baggie/contents and continued on the way north. Thank god we didn't have to explain that one to a state trooper or local sheriff.

Long hails are always fun in series.
hope this helps
Scott

TeriAnn
06-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi All!

I'm going to be picking up my first Series III 109 shortly and will be driving it about 300 miles back home. I'm incredibly excited! The vehicle itself is in great condition.

Any suggestions from anyone as to anything I need to pay attention to on the trip back? I.e. fluid levels, etc.

I would just check fluid levels before the first trip and examine the tyres. 300 miles is a short trip for a Series rig in good condition. Though it probably wouldn't hurt to lube the tuck and check U joints and tie rod ends for wear. I took mine on a trip from California to New York and back with only a fluid level check in New York. I frequently do 300 mile legs on a trip with no issues. Series rigs can be quite reliable if kept in good condition and properly maintained at factory recommended times.

Tim Smith
06-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I understand the AAA in case it explodes, but paper towels? Do tell! To wipe the tears away. ;)

Having also done site unseen truck mileage, I can tell you the following:

Check the fluids, note their levels and continue to check through the trip. Pay special attention to the oil and coolant at the first few gas stops.
Check the fuel level and do not trust the gauge. Make your first fill up before it reads empty and note how many gallons was needed to give you an idea how much fuel you actually have.
Do a thorough walk around the truck before setting off. Look for any loose bits inside and out.
Check your lights and just be aware which ones are out so you can play well with traffic on the highway.
Check the steering lash and make sure the ball joints are in good shape before setting off.
Have a jack and tire iron handy and see if you can't bring a few wrenches and screwdrivers in case you do end up in trouble.
Add yourself to the Birmabright Brotherhood (http://www.birmabrightbrotherhood.org/) and once added, you can print out a copy just in case you need some help along the way.
Bring a pillow to sit on. The seats can get hard on the rump after a few hundred miles.
Don't bring ear plugs. Being that you are new to the truck, you will want to acquaint yourself to the new noises. Besides wearing earplugs can give you a false sense of security and you might push it a little harder than you should.

300 miles is a baby trip though. You'll be fine.

leafsprung
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Don't bring ear plugs. Being that you are new to the truck, you will want to acquaint yourself to the new noises. Besides wearing earplugs can give you a false sense of security and you might push it a little harder than you should

I would def bring earplugs. They will help with the droning and really reduce fatigue. You should be able to still hear anything out of the ordinary. I can actually hold a conversation better at 70mph with earplugs than without. 300 miles is cake though.

Tim Smith
06-30-2009, 10:39 AM
If I had ear plugs on, I wouldn't have heard that outside toolbox door (lightweight) fall off somewhere in Georgia.

Of course, I was a good 500 or so miles into the trip and decided not to stop and pick it up. At least I was able to identify the sound and make a decision. Not the right decision but there you go... :o

LaneRover
06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I would also bring ear plugs. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

If you can bring a gas can (or buy one there) as a just in case because if the gas gauge is inaccurate you can pour a bit more in and get to a gas station.

pvkd
06-30-2009, 11:10 PM
I have twice driven from LA to the National Rally (once in Moab Utah and the other time in Montrose CO). Both trips were over well over 700 miles one way and both were completed without a hitch (Montrose was over 800 miles).

I agree with many of the others that say the distance you describe is not a big deal, what does matter is the standard to which you maintain the vehicle. However even if it is not in tip top condition it will likely still make it based upon some of the Series vehicles I have seen that still seem to run on!

Bostonian1976
07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
I understand the AAA in case it explodes, but paper towels? Do tell!

Been there! Safeair can attest.....

paper towels cleaned up all the oil inside my cabin

(yes I said inside)

NickDawson
07-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Really helpful thread - thanks guys!
I'm headed to Baltimore to pick up my Series III next week and will have a 150 mile trip back home. I've already got a tool kit sorted, but decided to pull the trigger on a hi-lift jack even though this one has street tires currently.

I've decided on a compermise regarding ear plugs - shure in-ear earphones, in one ear only... otherewise I might go insane before I get home.

Regarding fluids and levels - whats the best stuff to carry along? Any issues using regular coolant? I know there are threads on oil, I'll check them accordingly.

Once again - thanks for letting me hijack a thread, this group knows how to ask the right questions!

scott
07-02-2009, 09:38 AM
... - whats the best stuff to carry along? Any issues using regular coolant? I know there are threads on oil, I'll check them accordingly.

Once again - thanks for letting me hijack a thread, this group knows how to ask the right questions!

castrol 90 wt, gallons of it. that's what's in the sterring box, steering relay, swivelballs, diffs, tranny, transfer case, overdrive. bring a funnel with about 18" of tubing on the end of it and you should be able to hit all the fill ports. i also carry the quart bottles with the little pointy thing caps that the 18" of tubing fits on. my rear tail ights have the cages and i found that my tubing stores there nicely. loops up one side and down the other.

MSmyth
07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Brought mine back from Baltimore a couple months ago (300+ miles)... took my traveling tool kit but didn't need it. I checked the fluids and steering lash and had a flawless drive home.

What did come in handy was three fleece jackets I had in my chase vehicle (I never travel without the Mountain Hardwear). Balled/rolled/stuffed around my various body parts for the ride back was a lifesaver, especially the lower back and to pad the odd angle your accelerator foot tends to ride.

Earplugs? Hey, if I wanted quiet I'd buy an H3 (joke).

South Larry
07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Make sure to exercise your left arm for a week before the trip!!! Everyone coming anywhere near the vehicle wants to wave wildly!! (especially if you come across another of our band of Series crazzzies!!) and you'll need to have built up your waving muscles!!
Keep the windows and vents open and ENJOY mother natures free air conditioning

SafeAirOne
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
You've probably driven the rover home by now, but driving to work today reminded me of handy items to have--A rain coat and rain pants. I got absolutely drenched on the drive to work today during a torrential downpour. These items are even more important if your handbrake boot is in poor condition, as I found out mine was. :(

graniterover
07-08-2009, 07:48 PM
You've probably driven the rover home by now, but driving to work today reminded me of handy items to have--A rain coat and rain pants. I got absolutely drenched on the drive to work today during a torrential downpour. These items are even more important if your handbrake boot is in poor condition, as I found out mine was. :(

At least you have door tops. ;-)

LaneRover
07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
At least you have door tops. ;-)

I find that quite often my doortops seems to funnel the leak right onto my left knee.

slorocco
07-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Really helpful thread - thanks guys!
I'm headed to Baltimore to pick up my Series III next week and will have a 150 mile trip back home. I've already got a tool kit sorted, but decided to pull the trigger on a hi-lift jack even though this one has street tires currently.

I've decided on a compermise regarding ear plugs - shure in-ear earphones, in one ear only... otherewise I might go insane before I get home.

Regarding fluids and levels - whats the best stuff to carry along? Any issues using regular coolant? I know there are threads on oil, I'll check them accordingly.

I'm about half way in between B'more and Richmond. If you run in to problems give me a call. I've got a truck and trailer and may be able to help if you need it. I'll PM you my phone number.

NickDawson
07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm about half way in between B'more and Richmond. If you run in to problems give me a call. I've got a truck and trailer and may be able to help if you need it. I'll PM you my phone number.

Gotta love that about this group - thanks Slorocco!

scott
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Gotta love that about this group - thanks Slorocco!

just so you don't go getting the idea that we're all this kind...if you get stuck cuz you flat and don't have a jack call me and i'll laugh, just like the tow truck driver did as he charged me a c note to come out in the middle of the night in the middle of oklahoma jack mine up on my 700 mile drive home after purchase.

NickDawson
07-09-2009, 01:53 PM
just so you don't go getting the idea that we're all this kind...if you get stuck cuz you flat and don't have a jack call me and i'll laugh

I'll do you one better and send a picture of me sitting on the side of the road...

Since I've already hijacked this thread, might as well ask:
This truck has fairly mild all terrain road-like tires and parabolics. Any reason the car jack from my chase vehicle won't work in a pinch? My hi-lift is on order but won't be here in time.

Tim Smith
07-09-2009, 02:13 PM
...Since I've already hijacked this thread, might as well ask:
This truck has fairly mild all terrain road-like tires and parabolics. Any reason the car jack from my chase vehicle won't work in a pinch? My hi-lift is on order but won't be here in time.
So long as it's not one of those jacks that just links up with a hole on the side of the car (seen a bunch of European cars like that) and has enough reach to lift the tire from between the axle shackle and the ground, you should be fine. If you are not sure on the reach then bring a couple pieces of wood to prop it up with.

Andrew IIA
07-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I'll do you one better and send a picture of me sitting on the side of the road...

Since I've already hijacked this thread, might as well ask:

Welcome to living the Dream !! everything will be fine as long as you have a sense of humor :thumb-up:

Looking forward to the pics. You have the paper towels, yes ?

Best regards, Andrew
'63 IIA 88" SW

mechman
07-10-2009, 07:34 AM
It's kinda funny, but nobody mentioned bringing tools. I have a fairly basic Craftsman tool kit in one of those black plastic cases that I've added a few bits to (small voltmeter, a couple extra wrenches, crescent wrenches, pliers, etc) that I always carry in the truck with me. I zip tie it closed when I have to bring it on a plane. It's saved my hide more times than I can count - replacing a worn rocker arm and bent pushrod in Oregon, rebuilding a carb at 2am on the side of the PA Turnpike, tightening a loose tow ball in Salina, Kansas at 1am, adjusting the timing and mixture "on the fly" in my '78 Chevy van as I crawled over Vail Pass in a snowstorm, rebuilding a 1965 Citroen in a motel parking lot in Oklahoma, and on and on... If I didn't have my tools, I'd have been sunk more times than I can count.

If a car I purchased doesn't have a jack, usually my first stop before I hit the road is a local junkyard. I grab a scissors jack from an older Chevy truck (works under the axle housings) for $5 or so. It only takes a few minutes to stop and grab one, but it can save you TONS of headaches later. And you never know when that jack might come in handy later - I once used one to jack up a broken floor joist.

300 miles should be a cake walk of a trip though. That's a local trip, for me. I drove over 3000 miles on one trip in a truck with no brakes and a bad alternator - Oklahoma City to Tucson (master cylinder blew outside Amarillo), then back through OKC on the way to Dearborn.

Frank

NickDawson
07-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Well the adventure has begun... On my way to the pick up

MSmyth
07-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Well the adventure has begun... On my way to the pick up

Remember Nick... downtown first! :thumb-up:

SHORLAND
07-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the Brotherhood! Congradulations on your new 109. Before departing I would have the oil and filter changed. Go with a lighter oil than stock if shes a high mileage 109. Some people believe high miles call for heavier oil but what they are forgetting is all the oil passages on older engines are getting smaller due to the build up of sludge ect.. A thinner oil gets through these crevices and passages easier thus lubing your engine! I would also advise having all of your other fluids changed out Transmission, transfercase, diffs and engine coolant. These should be factory spec.. If the brakes work good then change the brake fluid after you get home. Air and fuel filters should also be changed before leaving. Also check your spare tire! Make sure you have one and all the related gear to actually change a tire. Make sure it actually has air in it and at the correct psi. Also make sure its road worthy as well as all the other tires. Check all for correct psi levels! Check before you drive while tires are cold. Now some people may snicker at me for having all the fluids changed but we dont know the condition of the rog. Florida has high humidity with lots of potential for deep and numerous water crossings. A 300 trip is plenty of time to find out your diffs had water in them after theyve burned up or a trans. oil is cheap compared to replacing diffs or trannies! Good luck and take plenty of pictures!

Bostonian1976
07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
How'd the drive go?