PDA

View Full Version : No start 60 Ser II

Enigma
06-30-2009, 08:38 PM
I just finished replacing rear wheel cylinders, steel lines all the way forward to the 5 way and bled the brakes. I then backed the vehicle out of the garage where it had been since last weekend to try the brakes to make sure they worked. This part was okay but a few minutes later the car died and I can't get it started.

Checked to see that fuel was reaching carb - OK
I have spark at the points & re adjusted them
I have 12 v on both sides of the coil.

Where do I look next?

Faulty coil ? It's only 49 years old.:thumb-up:

Thanks for any replies.

SafeAirOne
06-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Checked to see that fuel was reaching carb - OK
I have spark at the points & re adjusted them
I have 12 v on both sides of the coil.

You shouldn't have a spark at the points if the capacitor is doing it's job. You should have 12v on the arm side when the points are closed and the ignition switch is on, though.

When you say "both sides of the coil," you presumably mean the primary circuit, with the little wires. Did you check that you are actually getting a spark at the plug by removing one and having someone crank the engine while the outer casing of the plug is grounded against the engine (watch for fuel fumes)?

Enigma
07-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Scince this breakdown happened suddenly I felt it to be ignition related. I finally got enought time available as it has rained here constantly for about a week to really get under the bonnet and have a look.

I did get the Rover started again. Not sure exactly what the problem was but this is what I found:

The points were oil fouled - probably had too much grease on the rubbing block.

I looked inside the cap, finally and noticed that the 4 contact posts were extremely fouled and had a corrosion buid up.

So I changed the points and cap which meant a newer coil as the old system was screw in terminals and my new cap and wires were push on. Not a simple project as the ceter coil wire was too short to reach the distributor. So I had to either move the coil on the firewall or get a longer wire. Went to my auto supply shop and found out that they no longer carry individual wires nor did they have a coil of wire so I could make my own nor could they order any more as it was not a stock item.

I managed to fine a longer wire from the local wrecking yard which is still too short but just managed to fit.

Turned the key on. hit the starter and Bingo. Lucas was alive again.

Posting this for all oldtimers who happenrd to forget how to deal with the points and coil situation. Guess I should go to electronic ignition!

SafeAirOne
07-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Sounds like it would have been easier for you to move the distributor closer to the coil! :D