PDA

View Full Version : makeshift clutch alignment tool

scott
06-30-2009, 10:58 PM
20+ years ago i bought a couple of clutch alignment tools for my spitfire. couple of years ago i had to replace the clutch on my iia. found that one of the tools match the splines of the iia input shaft, yea! but the end of the tool was too small for the flywheel bushing so i shoved a 5/16th socket over the end. close enough, it worked!

tonight while the 2.25 swung from an engine lift i had the opportunity to again use my makeshift clutch alignment tool. Spent way to much time slamm'n on th freak'n thing but couldn't get the petrol and tranny together. pull the petrol back removed the clutch & p/p. the bushing looked garfed. sadness pours over me. now i'm going to have to yank off the fly wheel get the bushing out and wait a week for one to come. everybody including the dogs are giving me a wide berth.

but before i give up i try again and the bugger w/o the clutch & p/p slides right on. pull back and reinstall the clutch crap. being real careful. yippie freak'n eh! the engine is in and i'm off for the next 5 days. i hope to have my rove rov'n by sunday. wish me luck.

it's been 9 months. nothing get's in the way of a half frame off restore like a job.

badvibes
07-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Scott-

We still on for tomorrow? I can give you a hand wrenching too.

Jeff