PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Defender 90 - 4.0 - Stall

dmvail
07-01-2009, 01:30 AM
NEED HELP. Traveling from Phoenix to Vail and am stuck in Utah. While traveling up a hill at 70 mph the truck downshifted and then all of a sudden lost power. On the side of the road I tried to restart the car and it would start for about 3 to 5 seconds and then sputter out as if it wasn't getting any air. I would also try and press on the gas peddle but it would still stall. I removed the air intake form the engine and the paddle was completely closed. I adjusted the idle and this opened up the paddle which seemed to allow air to get into the engine and allow me to get to the nearest town. Still have 300 miles to go!

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem.
Phone: 970-376-7171

Thanks, Dave

spacemutt
07-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Do you mean the paddle in the air-flow meter? I thought the 4.0 litre engines all had the hot-wire system. I've had problems with my 3.5 Efi Range Rover backfiring on LPG which jammed the flap shut cutting off the air.

My 4.6 Classic had problems with the water temp sensor (not the one by the thermostat, the big one behind the pump in the valley) failing causing it to cut out and not start as you described. I replaced that and all was fine.