PDA

View Full Version : is this breakage normal for a SIII axle?

msggunny
07-01-2009, 04:43 PM
I have usually seen them twist off at the splines inside the carrier.

Not mine, guess im special.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/msggunny/DSC01270.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/msggunny/DSC01268.jpg

leafsprung
07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
typically they are weakest at the splines so they break at the flange or the side gear. It is odd. Makes me think there was some weakness in that area from damage or manufacturing. Its a little difficult to tell from the pictures, is the steel really porous there? Doesnt look like an even consistency.

greenmeanie
07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Could just be my cross eyed vision but the lower photograph looks like there has been a substantial crack along the bottom edge of that shaft. It looks like red crud present like you are seeing in the cast surface on the remainder of the shaft.

I'd agree with Ike that there has been a defect that has finally let go.

TJR
07-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Not that I'm an expert, but I agree it looks like signs of a pre-existing stress crack or flaw.. Not that it really matters now, but the splines look like they were ready to go soon anyway.. I assume this was probably an easier chunk to remove? :(

TJR

msggunny
07-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Not that I'm an expert, but I agree it looks like signs of a pre-existing stress crack or flaw.. Not that it really matters now, but the splines look like they were ready to go soon anyway.. I assume this was probably an easier chunk to remove? :(

TJR

It wasn't too hard to get out, i just pulled the other side and slipped a foldable ruler under the cross pin and give a good shove. Then i pulled the 3rd and took it out.

Probably could have gotten away with not pulling the third but i wanted to inspect it for s&g's.

The metal didn't look too porous from what i saw, but there was a crack down the shaft, some of that wear may have been from when i limped her home in 4wd.

Oddly enough i must have jinxed myself. A bout 2 weeks ago i was changing out the felt washers and flange gaskets and noticed the wear at the splines but thought i could get away with it until i moved to Maine. Guess not.

Odd how moments before i was day dreaming about whether or not to put in a Salisbury or do another upgrade....

O well.