PDA

View Full Version : coating the frame with bar and chain oil

glbft1
07-01-2009, 07:52 PM
greetings all,
We live in maine and want to prevent any damage to the frame in the winter, the old timers swear by a heavy coat of bar and chain oil every year to fight rust. wanted to get feed back on this and wonder if anyone else has done this on the east coast. this truck is a ex-mod and has a factory undercoating on the frame already just want double protection
:thumb-up:
Thanks
greg

VTRover
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I've seen it done by a driving instructor on his FJ 40 and FJ 80 and it looks similar to Waxoyl. Don't know if it's good or not but he swore by it.

DADAMS
07-01-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm considering doing this also. I have heard to add a toilet seal wax ring (which is beeswax I believe) and a small amount of solvent to keep things liquid. I have also looked into buying a product called FluidFilm which is lanolin based and used by the navy and coast guard to protect metal.

LaneRover
07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Years ago when I first got my Rover folks in Maine went back and forth about oil on the frame. I think that it works great on trucks with 'C' frame chassis and not box frame chassis like a Rover.

The problem is that most Rover frames rust from the inside out so you have to get the oil inside the frame and it is hard to make sure that you get ever nook and cranny.

Getting some oil in there is probably better than nothing of course.

scott
07-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I've heard that in the beginning the british army would put their mod roves. On racks drian the oils and would splash the old oils all over the underside

msggunny
07-02-2009, 06:06 AM
greetings all,
We live in maine and want to prevent any damage to the frame in the winter, the old timers swear by a heavy coat of bar and chain oil every year to fight rust. wanted to get feed back on this and wonder if anyone else has done this on the east coast. this truck is a ex-mod and has a factory undercoating on the frame already just want double protection
:thumb-up:
Thanks
greg

Good question, i have asked it before and had similar answers.

I am going to try that or something similar plus copious amounts of Salt-X or some other marine salt neutralizer. We used it on our M1A1's when we go on Navy ships and it does a great job of stopping the corrosion before it starts by killing the salt.

We just used a garden pump sprayer and mixed it with water and sprayed away. It was part of our maintenance regiment and did a great job. After "flying" on a hovercraft the tanks were covered with salt water spray and it got into everything.

FWIW

Jim-ME
07-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Where does one buy Salt-X?
Jim

jac04
07-02-2009, 07:40 AM
I used to attend "frame oiling" partys when I lived in Maine. They had a neat little device for spraying the insides of the frame. From what I remember, it was a long piece of copper tubing with the end closed off and several radial holes drilled in it. It was hooked up to a garden sprayer, which was filled with mineral oil. The tubing was fed all the way up each side of the frame via the hole in the rear x-member. When the pump was pressurized & the trigger was pulled, it would create a nice 360 degree spray and the tubing would be slowly pulled out of the frame.
You could make something similar with semi-rigid nylon tubing as well.

bchene
07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Jim,
I am in Maine and have used salt-x. I have gotten it at both Hamilton's Marine and West Marine. Works great on boats and seems to work as well on the landrover.

Eric W S
07-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I waxoyled my Defender's frame since I bought it. Give our hosts a call and buy some. Another club member did the home brew and it didn't last that long. You want something that can get powerwashed and last at least a few years. Waxoyl is easy, no mixing required and lasts a long time. Did fine in the salt zone that is Chicago.

Save for a Galv frame and be done with it...

Les Parker
07-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Waxoyl link http://www.roversnorth.com/waxoyl/

Why mess with the rest, when you can buy the best?

TSR53
07-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I would suggest not to fritz around and waste time and money crafting up a solution, Waxoyl your Land Rover and get the proper tools to apply this.

I Waxoyl'd my 2006 MINI Cooper S before last winter, best thing I could have ever done. Full story here >>

http://www.tsrennsport.com/weblog/?page_id=404
http://www.tsrennsport.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/DSCF8887-waxoyl-540.jpg

TedW
07-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Better in theory than in practice (IMHO) for 2 reasons:

1) It works at first but doesn't wear well - lots of creep on vertical surfaces and it seems to wash off too quickly.

2) It is a disgusting, Gawd-awful mess to apply, because unlike Waxoyl-type products it drips iff like crazy. After you apply it people will look at the huge stain in your driveway and think that Captain Hazelwood must have just come over for drinks. And it will be running out of the frame for weeks to come, conveniently dripping on your hot exhaust.

Having tried many different products, I am sold on Waxoyl from our illustrious hosts. It goes on, it stays on, it doesn't make a huge mess during application. I am especially pleased with the "HARDWAX" product. It lasts nicely on exposed areas and will not wash off. The regular stuff can be used inside the frame and inside the firewall and doors.

frans
07-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Try spraying Pam, for that 'oki' rust and mud treatment :D

Bertha
07-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Be careful the DEP or an environmentalist doesn't catch you employing the oil on the frame method, they will crucify you.

Bertha
07-03-2009, 12:38 PM
I would suggest not to fritz around and waste time and money crafting up a solution, Waxoyl your Land Rover and get the proper tools to apply this.

I Waxoyl'd my 2006 MINI Cooper S before last winter, best thing I could have ever done. Full story here >>

http://www.tsrennsport.com/weblog/?page_id=404
http://www.tsrennsport.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/DSCF8887-waxoyl-540.jpg

God help the poor tech that has to replace something under that Mini.

TSR53
07-03-2009, 01:54 PM
God help the poor tech that has to replace something under that Mini.

That will be me :rolleyes: [thanks for the blessing]. Best part is the nuts and bolts should come right off ! No penetrating oil needed! Amazingly as gooey as the Waxoyl looks, it dries up pretty well and still remains somewhat live.

jac04
07-03-2009, 03:12 PM
While the nuts & bolts will come right off, it is a miserable mess. My WRX had the same type of coating all over the undercarriage. While it offered great protection, it was a mess when working on it. However, an acceptable trade-off overall.

daveb
07-03-2009, 10:03 PM
everything on my 90 was waxoyled when I got it. it is nowhere near as bad as the oily drippy muddy crap that is all over the bottom of every land rover.

c'mon bertha...what are you gonna stain your lab coat?

While the nuts & bolts will come right off, it is a miserable mess. My WRX had the same type of coating all over the undercarriage. While it offered great protection, it was a mess when working on it. However, an acceptable trade-off overall.