PDA

View Full Version : what distributor do i have

BGGB
07-02-2009, 08:14 PM
hello all, i'm considering installing a pertronix/flamethrower to my 1965 IIa 2.25. the reason for upgrading is that i have a sputtering coming from the exhaust that i can't get rid of even after timing and what not. i've been on the interstate in the rain before and heard and the engine shut down and i couln'd figure it out untill i adjusting the points. it seems that that that i have to fix them every 200 miles or so, i'm thinking worn distributor correct me if i'm wrong. the flamethrower distributor from mossmoters.com is for a 25d4 distributor but i'm not sure if thats the one that i have. i'm sure someone can give me some hints on which ones were fitted to which years/models. also has anyone installed one of this distributors? thanks for your help

Bertha
07-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Forget a new one, get your original rebuilt instead http://www.advanceddistributors.com/

Also be aware that the electrical parts coming through these days are crap. You could have a bad condensor(which in the past would have be nearly impossible to find)if your points are burning up after 200 miles. But start with a rebuild from Jeff and go from there. I always try and fix what the car originally came with as opposed to buying new or upgraded parts-then you throw other variables into the mix that weren't originally there.

SeriesShorty
07-03-2009, 07:49 PM
If it's original Lucas, you may find a stamp viewable by looking directly down onto the distributor body. Mine says 25D and it has an arrow pointing to it as well. See if you've got identification like that.