PDA

View Full Version : Plow pump mounting help

Broadstone
07-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I have just built a plow frame for my series III I am rebuilding, and was curious if anyone has pictures or recommendations on mounting the belt driven hydraulic pump. The plow and pump setup was off a willys. I was planning on using a double groove pulley off the crank or off the waterpump. Any ideas of what is best? Pictures or ideas of where the controls are mounted would also be great. Thanks

graniterover
07-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Can you post pick of your plow frame? Can't help with the pump - sorry.

mechman
07-05-2009, 10:18 PM
You're probably going to have to fab up a custom mount and pulley setup. I've seen pumps mounted behind the bumper that were driven directly off the hand crank dog, with a simple sliding clutch on the shaft between.

Come to think of it, didn't the military 2.25's have double grooved crank pulleys? I believe the 24V ones did, because as I remember the rectified A/C generators used dual belts. It's been a few years since I've looked at one though, my memory could be faulty.

You might want to check out the Jeep forums (*gasp!* Sacrilege!). Those guys have been adding modified A/C compressors to their engines for use as field air compressors for some time. Great for airing up a tire in the field... They pretty much have it down. Perhaps you can take a page from them.

scott
07-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I plannig on adding an air pump. Thinking of getting a dbl pulley for my altenator

mechman
07-06-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm not a big fan of belting off of the alternator pulley, unless you put in a Delco or FoMoCo alternator (just for ease of getting a replacement). The extra tension in a second direction puts a lot of stress on the alternator bearings, leading to a shorter life. You're much better off belting from the crank, if you can.

Drain Rovers2
07-06-2009, 06:31 AM
You can belt from the crank, just add another pulley up to the pump( GMC power steering pumps work well The older ones) and then you can just run something down to the frame and a rod(s) for angling and up down motion of the plow. That was how mine was set up it worked well.
I have pictures if you want then ( just PM) me I am will in to sell the pump and set up its all in great condition.

Broadstone
07-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Here is a few pictures. Frame still needs some touch up work and blasting before paint. I was thinking of going double pulley off waterpump or crank, moving battery under the seat and getting rid of the oil bath. This should give me plenty of room for the pump and whatever mounts I will need to fabricate. I think that is the largest and safest place as near the alternator would mean hydraulic lines near the manifold which could potentially be dangerous. still interested in everyones thoughts. Thanks

TJR
07-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I went down this road on my early bronco years ago. I started out w/a 2-way Western pump unit, and had used it for years.. I was later given a 4-way blade and lift assy from a meyers plow unit. I altered the plow A-frame to fit my wester puch frame . Even though the lift unit worked...it worked but never very well. (The orignal 2-way unit was mush more pwerful and quicker) Later.. I was given a usable Western engine driven hyd pump and valve body. Cool!! I spend the good part of a day trying to fabricate a custom bracket to fit the ford V8 behind the PS pump.. I managed to get a foundation. Added a bolt on fisher pulley to the waterpump. Then when I started thinking about all the underhood clearance problems, How to tension the new belt, where to mount the resevoir, how to hook up the manual valve body controls.. Uggh! Time was not on my side..
I gave in and bought a used Western Isamark III Electric over hydraulic pump/pision assemly and it is great. It blew away the old Meyers 4-way electric unit I had. The pump w/ the 4way cable controller was all less then 300.00 off ebay. Oil change is easy and it all removed for summer storage quite easily. PLUS!!! No underhood hydraulic leaky mess either. ..... For me it was the better choice. However I do understand the fabrication bit is always part of the fun. :-) plus purely mechanical devices are cool. That's why I like my Koenig PTO winches

...Talbot