PDA

View Full Version : Classic will not start

on a fly
07-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I have a 92 classic. My daughter borrowed it and after filling up the tank parked it in the drive way and now it wont start. Have spark to and out of distributor. Replaced fuel filter - since the tank was empty I thought it may have picked up a big wad of goo out of the tank but that didn't fix it. Inertia switch seems to be engaged - no apparent problem there.

I removed the access plate on the top of the tank to visually inspect fuel pump and the wiring seems to be intact - no obvious breaks, connections in place.

Whats the next logical step before I drop 4 large on a fuel pump?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

kevin-ct
07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Does the pump run?

on a fly
07-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Yes

57loboy
07-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Do you have a means of testing the fuel pressure? You need to ensure that although the pump runs, you're actually getting fuel to the rail...and that the pressure is enough.

on a fly
07-08-2009, 01:03 PM
OK - The fuel pump does not seem to operate at all now.
When key is in the on mode I get nothing out of the pump - no indication that it is running.

So it seems like I am at the point of buying myself a fuel pump. Are there any alternatives to the OEM pump? by alternative I mean cheaper of course.

Paul Grant
07-09-2009, 08:02 AM
I have a good used pump out a Range Rover Classic that will work with your truck. You can have it for $60 including shipping. Let me know if you are interested.
Cheers,
Paul

paulgrant@mac.com

kevin-ct
07-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I found once an open pin connector at the fuel pump on my wife's 95 RRC.

You could check for power going to the pump/ or buy the one from Paul to check.

Les Parker
07-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Check that there is power to the fuel pump, at the harness.
It could be the fuel pump relay, pumps do not normally just stop working.