PDA

View Full Version : Heads ok, but bad coolant/oil leak

dandruka
07-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Recently I parked my 04 disco in the garage for the tedious project of replacing the head gaskets. Both sides were leaking pretty bad and since I had not owned it for very long, I figured that it may of over heated or something in the past.

I removed the heads and brought them down to the machined shop. I had them cleaned up and checked (thinking I was going to need a shave on them)….Nope! Perfectly flat and no warps and no cracks!

I am bewildered as to why the gaskets would be leaking so bad if the heads were ok. The truck only has 70k however, it would it would leak up to a 1/2 -1 cup of coolant mixed with oil. The strange thing also is although both liquids leaked on the outside, I really had no indication they were leaking inside (i.e. milky oil or gel under the oil cap).

Do head gaskets just fail like that if no over heating happens? Could it mean something else like a slipped liner? I’ve tried to look at other threads but I really can’t find anything that give me a satisfying answer .

Any help would be great!

kh500
07-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't think visual inspection wouldn't tell you the warpage of the head.
A special machine shop can measure and re-surface.

If it's an exterior leaking, try pinpoint the leaking spot.

Mine happened to be the throttle body coolant pipes.
I placed a large white sheet of paper under the engine overnight to see where the drop marks were.

The dealer service mentioned it's the sual suspect of leaking shown on the photo.
As I don't have a plan to drive to Artic, I simply bypassed it.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x130/kh500/Discovery/D2throttleBody.jpg

flavegreen
08-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Hello,

I had this same problem with my '01 disco. It ended up being the water pump cover leaking. The cover has both water and oil lines running through it. Not an easy fix. But it did fix it. It's funny I just logged on for the first time and have found anwsers for most of my issues, because you are all having the same ones. Thanks from Wichita