PDA

View Full Version : Overheating - New alternator

Blake McKinney
07-08-2009, 08:27 AM
My '69 Ser. IIA recently had a new alternator installed. Prior to it being installed I never had any problems with the temp gauge showing anywhere near hot. After the installation of a new alternator it now run up near the red area of the temp gauge. I had the thermostat checked to make sure that it was not the problem and it checked out ok. Any suggestions about why it may be running hot now?

bpj911
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Pretty much the only related item I would think is the belt.

Jim-ME
07-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Check your voltage stabilizer. If I remember correctly any more than 10 volts output will cause your gauges to read high. Does the fuel gauge read full as well? If it does is the tank actually full?
Jim

SafeAirOne
07-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Is the truck actually running hot or is it just indicating that it is hot? Does your fuel gage read correctly? Did you route the fan belt correctly? Did you, for some reason, remove the fan during this alternator swap? ---I know, the last two questions are kind of obvious, but there can't be many explanations for your problem.

Edit: Jim-ME types faster than me, but we're on the same track regarding the voltage stabilizer for the instruments.

Blake McKinney
07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will have my Rover mechanic check out the various replies that were suggested as being a reason that the gauge would at least appear to indicate that the truck is running hot. I will post an answer once he has had a chance to review the possible causes and hopefully find an answer.

Thanks again,

Blake