PDA

View Full Version : help! timing jump'n

scott
07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
i finally started put'n it back together. last night i fired it up for the first time. ran great, then rough as i was timing it then nada. i put it at tdc on popped off the dizzy cap the rotor was pointing nowhere near the no. 1. pulled the dizzy and found tht the drive gear was about 120 degrees off. pulled the oil filter removed the grub screw refitted the drive gear w/the master spline pointing to no.1. put it all back together and stopped for the night. it fired up this morn'n ran for about 30 -45 seconds and would start again. again i put it at tdc and check the rotor. it was 180 degrees off.

this is a new 2.25 petrol rebuild. new 2.5 cam, new timing chain and gears. old drive gear. could this old gear be so worn that it jumps?

cachinfool
07-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Are you sure you were on the compression stroke?

scott
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
i'm using the flywheel tdc mark. last night set the drive gear w/ its master spline pointing to no.1 and today it's pointing away from no.1

scott
07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
ok now i'm really freak'n confused. i just turn the starter handle 360 degees and the drive gear only rotated 180 degrees. so does 1 revolution of the crank equal 2 strokes?

post finger in no. 1 spark plug hole edit. dang! i'm a freak'n potato head. i set the dizzy drive gear to point to no.1 on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression. and how stupid not to know that one crank revolution means piston goes down and up (2 strokes) so it takes 2 revs to do four strokes. right now i feel like tommy boy at his lowest.

gudjeon
07-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Don't worry we've all been there at some point. If not, they are just not admitting it. This is the learning stuff that makes Land Rovers great thing.:thumb-up:

scott
07-10-2009, 02:30 PM
thanks for that, but i'm going to blame it on the beer...i didn't have any last night and i still don't.

LaneRover
07-10-2009, 05:42 PM
thanks for that, but i'm going to blame it on the beer...i didn't have any last night and i still don't.

Blame it on no beer?

scott
07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Blame it on no beer?

sure, when i've had a few i tend to chill, relax and think about things more, when i'm sober i think i know it all and this time i wasn't even close. heck i was off 180 degrees.