PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Timing Marks on a 4.2 ???

ccec
07-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Arrghhh... Here I am with my head under the bonnet, trying to set the timing and I can't seem to find the timing reference pointer and the associated marks on any of the pulleys...

Where are they?

--ccec

ccec
07-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Problem solved... interesting that in the 11 cumulative years of Rangie ownership, I've never had to do this before. I have a Haynes manual and the Rover shop manual and both of 'em are quite lacking info. So I hope this helps:

The marks were in the obvious spot, but hiding under a layer of goo. I crawled under the engine and started wiping away, then rubbed some black board chalk into the timing marks. I made an additional mark at the factory recommended 8-10 degree setting.

Here's a pic:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/padysol/Rover_Timing.jpg

When using a timing light, you have to really get on top of the front of the engine, above the fan shroud and point the light in the the small space between the alternator adjustment bracket and the power steering pump bracket AND the front of the engine. It's a narrow view, that's for sure. The timing pointer is on the top side of the back of all those pulleys.

BTW -- getting the distributor nut accessed and loosened is no picnic: you have to lift up the top radiator hose, and feel your way into the space under the distrib.

More on a related topic in another post.

See ya,

ccec