PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Lockers

outlaw
07-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Does any one have, or know where i can get lockers for my 1985, 2.5 GASOLINE ,110 PICK UP, I would prefer the regular one's, not the air or electronic type.

spacemutt
07-11-2009, 10:13 AM
What do you mean regular ones? I thought they were all air of electric. They have a little solenoid inside which moves the locking mechanism into place.

daveb
07-11-2009, 10:15 AM
detroit and true tracs from keith @ rovertracks

Does any one have, or know where i can get lockers for my 1985, 2.5 GASOLINE ,110 PICK UP, I would prefer the regular one's, not the air or electronic type.

outlaw
07-13-2009, 10:31 AM
What do you mean regular ones? I thought they were all air of electric. They have a little solenoid inside which moves the locking mechanism into place.....one my other suzuki samurai and all the poeple that have lockers......the wheels are constantly locked on the rear, so they grab a bit on corners, ...

outlaw
07-13-2009, 10:33 AM
:confused:
detroit and true tracs from keith @ rovertracks ????????????????? im always off road , in the worst terrain ,hills, rivers, mud ,,and more mud ...we have an off road club..

spacemutt
07-13-2009, 04:16 PM
....one my other suzuki samurai and all the poeple that have lockers......the wheels are constantly locked on the rear, so they grab a bit on corners, ...

Ok. Just asking. :) Over here in the UK the only lockers fitted on the rears are either air or electric and only locked when all else fails, otherwise things go pop. I've heard of some people fitting Limited Slip Diffs which would help a bit and take out the hard work of pushing a button. :p

Do you have a link to the sort of thing you're talking about? I'm keen to learn more.

daveb
07-13-2009, 10:18 PM
no problem

www.rovertracks.com

:confused: ????????????????? im always off road , in the worst terrain ,hills, rivers, mud ,,and more mud ...we have an off road club..

KevinNY
07-13-2009, 10:21 PM
:confused: ????????????????? im always off road , in the worst terrain ,hills, rivers, mud ,,and more mud ...we have an off road club..

I will translate his shorthand answer for you. A Detroit is a rear locker that is mechanical, always locked unless it needs to unlock by ratcheting around tight corners on pavement. It is made by Eaton in the US, http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitLocker/index.htm

A Tru-Trac is a limited slip differential made by the same company that is ideal for the front end. Neither of these require any wiring, levers etc. and use regular old 90 weight gear oil. No special oils or friction modifiers need to be added.

outlaw
07-15-2009, 01:12 PM
I will translate his shorthand answer for you. A Detroit is a rear locker that is mechanical, always locked unless it needs to unlock by ratcheting around tight corners on pavement. It is made by Eaton in the US, http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitLocker/index.htm

A Tru-Trac is a limited slip differential made by the same company that is ideal for the front end. Neither of these require any wiring, levers etc. and use regular old 90 weight gear oil. No special oils or friction modifiers need to be added.

Thanks Kevin and all you guys , for the help , i e mailed them for costings and weight, just waiting......for a reply..

Unlike you all , Trinidad does not have a large group of land rover lovers, 95% of the ones here are for farm or some sort of work. mines is for recreation, ( its to good for work) ha ha ,, any how, to get spare parts is not the problem, i could get just about anything (original stuff ), so i need you guy to - as we say "Gimme ah pull out" when it comes to accessories, i really need head lamp grilles NEW OR USED, and a skid plate for the front, HEY !!! My Land Rover is my life, ......thanks again

Outlaw :)

Blueboy
07-15-2009, 03:32 PM
if you end up with a locker as described by Kevin, you might also want to consider upgrading your axle shafts - especially if they are still OEM from 1985.

Jaime

outlaw
07-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Yes ... i will have to , i also want to upgrade my bushins, the OEM shock bushins(rubbers) dont even last months, i need heavy duty stuff man...

daveb
07-17-2009, 03:12 PM
the rear axles shafts will be fine. though you should check the splines on the outer end. if the hub flange splines are worn you can replace with new or even heavy duty.

Yes ... i will have to , i also want to upgrade my bushins, the OEM shock bushins(rubbers) dont even last months, i need heavy duty stuff man...