PDA

View Full Version : Need Photographs of Series III front brake Routing

pvkd
07-11-2009, 09:34 AM
I want to convert my RHD Series IIa 109 to the later Series III servo dual circuit brakes (I have the parts) and am interested in pictures of the following sections:

i) Brake Master Cylinder to the brake failure valve mounting
ii) Failure value to the right front (sitting in the vehicle looking forward)
iii) Right front to the left front section up to the left wheel.

Due to the steering being on the proper side of the vehicle the brake lines need to be routed to clear the longitudinal steering rod from the steering box to the steering relay.

Can anybody help with detailed pictures - thank you in advance.

Paul:confused:

TJR
07-13-2009, 09:56 PM
I can provide some teardown pics of my Ser III LHD NAS model?

thixon
07-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Why don't you just run them wherever makes the most sense? I re-routed several of mine. For example, I got rid of the line that runs on top of the cross member.

I swear I'm not being a smartarse.:D

scatterling
07-14-2009, 04:21 PM
all I could find. Mine is a '75 RHD. Hope this helps. Sorry no photo's of lines from brake failure switch to master - it was already taken out.
(I'll take some of the new lines I ran tonight)
The first photo shows the front crossmember, the clips are already removed but you can see on the frame where the lines should sit.

pvkd
07-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Neil,

Thank you for taking the time to post these pictures! I really appreciate your effort especially as you have a military RHD chassis the same as mine.

The brake line rounting is not as I imagined, as so the pictures are very interesting. I did not realize that the right front runs under the chassis not over. Also the picture of the front cross member is especially interesting. I will now look more closey to see if I can find the mounting holes for the support clips on mine that I can see on yours.

Your failure valve has two ports for the front lines whereas mine has a single port requiring a three way "T" somewhere in the front circuit. So in this aspect mine will need to be a little different.

Neil - do you think your line rounting is standard or has a PO been at work?

In the end as suggested by Travis, I will route the lines where it makes best sense, but the factory has thought about it and it certaininly serves as a great place from which to start.

Thanks

Paul

pvkd
07-19-2009, 09:47 AM
TJR - Thank you for the offer - I would like to take a look at what you have in case if helps me.

Thank you

scatterling
07-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Paul,
there should be holes in the front crossmember for the lines (as well as the rest of the frame), so it's fairly easy to tell where they should go. The truck came from the military so I can only assume the lines were run as they should be. ( they looked like thay had been on the truck for a long time)

I tried to run the new lines as close to the originals as possible.
Are you rebuilding your truck or just doing the lines?

Neil

pvkd
07-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Neil,

Woow! Your vehicle looks brilliant!

To answer your question I am just upgrading the brakes to dual circuit servo assited (power brakes). I want to use as much factory fitting as I can but you know how much underseal the MOD puts on the frame such that it is hard to see some intentional holes because the are covered with underseal. My vehicle though is a mix, in that it has a military frame under a UK 1971 Series IIa 109 Station Wagon body.

A couple more questions:

1) Can you send me a picture of how your failure valve mounts to the frame (so I can see the bracket - I need to make one - and how it is attached)?

2) What type of clips are you using to attach the lines to the frame (Series 3 plastic type or Series IIa metal... I never understood how the plastic type work?... I have the metal type on my frame)?

3) Can you send me a close view of the clamp you have on the right side where the two lines meet over the cross member (Is it factory?)?

4) Whoes disk brakes are you using?

Thank for your your help.

Paul

brucejohn
07-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Paul...

I am a newbie who knows little, but here are a few photos from my '82 109 with a two port failure valve and a tee near the front under the battery platform. I won't have the engine out until sometime next week so these were the best I could line up.

I hope that is what you were hoping to see. Good luck.

...bj

brucejohn
07-23-2009, 07:41 AM
newbie forgot to upload ;), here they are.

Paul...

I am a newbie who knows little, but here are a few photos from my '82 109 with a two port failure valve and a tee near the front under the battery platform. I won't have the engine out until sometime next week so these were the best I could line up.

I hope that is what you were hoping to see. Good luck.

...bj