PDA

View Full Version : California Emmisions and Aftermarket Induction

ccec
07-11-2009, 04:52 PM
This unit I've had under my bonnet for about 6 years. No problems and better power... they claim better MPG but I haven't really calculated it. The sucking sound is pretty cool, too. Here's a pic:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/padysol/Rover_Induction.jpg

Okay, here's the rub: California only accepts these mods if they've been granted an "E. O." (Exemption Order) from the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The manu. of my model, Air Force One, didn't bother to apply to CARB to get an EO number for my model year (1993, 4.2 engine)...

I've gone through many smog certs in these past years, but I've recently run into more pressure form this shop as to upholding the letter of the law. In their view, without an appoved EO number you have illegally "tampered" with the intake system (even though, obviously, the mod is simply a smoother-flowing bit of plumbing and includes the use of the air mass meter, etc.).

SO I would advise others to hang on to their stock intake plumbing and slap it on the day before your Calif. Smog Cert. test.

Cheers,

ccec

phoenix
07-13-2009, 07:45 PM
here in northern virginia we test as is, we look for a few things to be there and enter info accordingly, look if you have fuel evap, egr, pcv, cats, secondary air, thermostaic air, look if your fuel cap is to be tested or not.
the computer makes the detrmination based on your model as if it should have all or none of the above mentoned components..
if you have snorkel, modified intake, improper timing missing or disconected vacuum hoses we still proceed with the test if it passes oh well if it dont we give you literature to read and a few numbers to call if you have any questions... if you fail you get one free retest with in 14 days if you fail again the process starts all over again.....