PDA

View Full Version : Anyone install center posts in a 110?

VTRover
07-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm getting ready to install two new center posts in my 110. Can anyone offer advice as to how hard the procedure is? I've already POR-15 coated the posts and they look great! Can't wait until they are installed.

daveb
07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
shoulda hot-dipped em. how POR gonna protect the inside?

I'm getting ready to install two new center posts in my 110. Can anyone offer advice as to how hard the procedure is? I've already POR-15 coated the posts and they look great! Can't wait until they are installed.

JimC
07-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Its not a cut-and-shut job at all. The post bolt to the bukhead and the roof, which is pretty straight forward, and the connection at the seatbox has a lot of overlapping parts, but where they connect to the tub is a real pain. You have to remove the "triange" piece just behind the rear door, drill out all those rivets, and remove a bunch of caulk to free up the rear supports. Its also very difficult to get them out if the tub cappings are still in place. Your best bet is probably to make a number of cuts and remove the things in pieces, but getting the new ones in will take a lot of careful fitting, and that's assuming that they fit correctly. Good luck.

VTRover
07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Remember to make sure you have the bottom hinge nut plates inside the post before you install it. If you missed it you have a 50/50 shot at putting them in from the bottom up. There are a HUGE number of places for **** to get in to the posts and cause rust. I'd be very liberal with any anti corrosion process you can find. I installed stainless bolts and locknuts all down the length of the post and ends. I'm going to follow up and waxoyl the whole thing. Also, if you have an older 110 the strikers are going to be somewhat different with new post.

Also - if I were to do it again I would remove the hinges from the doors and loosely mount them to the center posts BEFORE installing the center posts. This may seem like an extra step (as you have to dissassemble the doors to get to the bolts but I think it's ultimately worth it in the long run.

VTRover
07-14-2009, 06:59 PM
I did both in two days.

VTRover
07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_I0oJuVfNPOE/Sl0gZfYTCsI/AAAAAAAAALU/RYMYR7UHFdA/s512/IMG_0732.JPG