PDA

View Full Version : OK, So New Rover...

amcordo
07-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone!

So I got my rover! "New" is obviously a lie, but it's a pretty good condition Chevy V8-mod rover. I've a few questions:

1. Third gear clicks badly. Probably a broken tooth or two. I have the Haynes manual, but have never dissassembled a transmission. In all honesty, should I be scared? About how long would it take two people to take the transmission off the car, take it apart, replace the bad gear and reverse the process (i.e. is this an afternoon job, or should I take a week of vacation?). If I have the part and the Haynes manual would this be an expensive job at a local mechanical shop?

2. Same thing with leaking oil from the rear transfer case. Oil's coming out the front (the side that hooks into the transmission). Will replaceing whatever gasket or seal that is bad be a horrible ordeal?

3. The right turn blinker works great, but when I use the left turn signal the flasher must be struggling - it stays lit and only occassionally clicks (flashes). Just a bad flasher?

I'm bound to have more questions soon - time to read through every thread!

Tony

SafeAirOne
07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Are you running the original series gearbox behind that V8? IF so, I think you ought to get real used to taking that transmission apart. I don't believe that transmission is rated to handle what any Chevy V8 will put out, hence the broken teeth.

bmohan55
07-13-2009, 10:37 AM
FWIW, I found that when my blinkers were slow (one was much slower than the other) my battery was weak with a bad cell. New battery & alternator fixed the blinkers.

LaneRover
07-13-2009, 10:49 AM
3. The right turn blinker works great, but when I use the left turn signal the flasher must be struggling - it stays lit and only occassionally clicks (flashes). Just a bad flasher?

I would check your grounds for the left turn signal lights. There is a jumble of them up near the battery. Make sure they are not corroded, are tight and if need be add another.

Firemanshort
07-13-2009, 11:52 AM
there is only one flasher that is shared for left and right signals. Your problem is probably a ground issue uniqe to one side.