PDA

View Full Version : SIII Tow Hitch Plate

printjunky
07-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Can anybody work me up basic (or complex, if you want) dimensions of an (original?) tow hitch that bolts to the back crossmember? I had one on my second SIII (sitting behind a barn somewhere in North Dakota still, probably :(). Basically, that one was basically a "C" channel, with a pintle jaw welded to it.

The basic question I want to answer, is: If (as I make my own custom (and no offense to our hosts, NOT $229!) hitch, am I starting with 6-inch, or 8-inch "C" channel or were they larger?

Any other dimensions, tips, hints, design ideas (what variations are out there?), are well appreciated.

Shawn

rovertek
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
i have a used one.....

HybridIIA
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
PM me your email address & I'll send you a drawing.

Bertha
07-17-2009, 01:43 PM
I have a used, sandblasted and painted one I was just about to put on ebay

printjunky
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Looks much like the sketch in front of me I did at, errr, ummm, work. But I used a more rectangular backplate, more like the original. And I added some addt'l safety chain tabs.

If I can't do it myself for less than half (Pangolin=$170 galvanized) I'll probably go with that eventually. (C-channel is $12, plate is another couple of bucks and a pre-made hitch tube is about $20. Welding's free (me), but I wonder how much galvanizing is?)

So I guess that means my preferred price on a used non-galv. unit would be $85, conditional on condition. And I know it's pretty heavy, so if shipping is insane, that might affect that number.

Probably to some I sound cheap. $229, $170, $85 ... small potatoes, right? But I have an ongoing money-starved-projects-to-income ratio, such that I have to rationalize quite a few choices) Also, though I'm transplanted in the Midwest now for 13(!) years, my roots are deep in Maine. So added to that, I'm Yankee frugal. (Dad's rule: Never pay someone for something you can do yourself. And you can pretty much figure out how to do just about anything yourself. ... I'm not saying it doesn't backfire: Roofing the back porch (still leaks), shoulda called a pro!)

NickDawson
07-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Not sure if this helps, but snapped these quickly while taking pics for another post
http://gallery.me.com/nickpdawson/100097/IMG_0467/web.jpg?ver=12479396450001

more here

http://gallery.me.com/nickpdawson#100097&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=0

printjunky
07-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Those are the exact measurements I needed! Looks like my 6" C-channel is a little bit narrow, so I'll probably go with the 8.