PDA

View Full Version : Help! I flipped my rover!

Bub
07-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Yep, its true. I flipped my rover upside down. 180-ed off the road and into a ditch and it roled over, coming to a stop on its backside. Not all is lost though...Besides a few body issues, things seem to be ok. The engine compartment is completely fine. This is a 2000 Discovery series II. Believe it or not this has happened before! Last time I was told not to try to start it before pulling the plugs and something else. Last time it ran fine afterwards. Any input for the best way to put "Humpty Dumpty" back together would be appreciated. Thanks!

thixon
07-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Twice huh? Maybe you should take some driving lessons.:D

SixthFlick
07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Twice huh? Maybe you should take some driving lessons.:D

Ditto...or don't go beyond the incline capabilities... Glad to hear (I hope) that no one was hurt...this time.

Les Parker
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Stay in the middle of your lane, mind the potholes, keep the horizon in view, maintain speeds that suit the terrain (keep to posted speed limits, too!)

:confused:

SixthFlick
07-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Stay in the middle of your lane, mind the potholes, keep the horizon in view, maintain speeds that suit the terrain (keep to posted speed limits, too!)

:confused:

...and of course, buy your new parts from Rovers North!

Les Parker
07-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks, for that (hmm where are you calling when you hear that expression?). Appreciate the support !

Bub
07-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Oh, I guess I didn't realize that this forum was for people who don't actually drive these vehicles outside nice flat suburban roads. Where I live, all the roads are crowned hard, bumpy, windy and hilly. First time was in a snow storm, I 180-ed and hit a snow bank on the far side, tipped over. Same day a dump truck flipped over on the same road. I was going 20 mph. Second time, my wife was driving 50 mph and lost control, 180-ed, hit ditch on far side and flipped. It was raining. I have never been in an accident in another vehicle on these same bumpy, windy, hilly, crowned roads. I think these vehicles are too top heavy, handle poorly, and to top it all off, their mechanical parts don't last and they suck to work on. I just want to get this thing to run again so I can haul wood with it. Thanks for the help, or not.

adkrover
07-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Maybe you'd get more sympathy if you posted in the correct forum. You say yours is a Discovery? This is a Series forum. As far as driving conditions, if your roads are so bad that you managed to flip a truck going 20mph then maybe you should consider something more like a Bombadier snow cat.

Andrew IIA
07-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Where I live, all the roads are crowned hard, bumpy, windy and hilly.
Where is that, pray tell ?

regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW

Bub
07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Where is that, pray tell ?

regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW

Central Maine. Any ideas on the start up procedure? I don't want to ruin the motor. Is there a emergency gas shut off switch?

Mike Koch
07-24-2009, 12:08 PM
There is an inertia switch(fuel cut-off switch) mounted on the bulkhead. To set it, press the top of the switch.

Bub
07-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Tim Smith
07-31-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Don't let these guys sour you. It must have been a full moon or something. ;)