PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Series III (or IIa) in Eastern NY, Upper Jersey, West CT, Eastern PA?

SixthFlick
07-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm planning to buy my first Series III 88 (in a few more years) but have never physically seen one. Is there anyone living within a few hours drive from the Newburgh / Middletown area of NY that would be willing to show me your Series III (or Series IIa)??? I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not really concerned with condition or even if it drives, I just want to see if I fit in them as I'm 6ft5in.

Tsmith
07-22-2009, 04:43 PM
I have a series II in Westchester county and you're welcome to take a spin. At 77", you'll fit and drive comfortably, but you will not be able to see the light turn green at intersections because the top of the windshiled is so low. I am considerably shorter than you and have to crane my neck if I'm the first at the light.

But there are solutions:

You may find a prism-like device at a auto swapmeet. They have a glass prism fixed on an arm with a suction cup on the other end. In the '50's these were adhered to the dashboard and bent the light coming from the signal. Stifle the desire to get (from the same guy) a "suicide knob" to attach to your steering wheel.

You could polish the aluminium bonnet to a mirror finish and watch the lights reflection.

Take the roof off.

Good luck,

Tom Smith

BackInA88
07-22-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.lightinsight.com/

I'm 6'1" and have on of these in my rig, works great.

Steve

SixthFlick
07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I have a series II in Westchester county and you're welcome to take a spin. At 77", you'll fit and drive comfortably, but you will not be able to see the light turn green at intersections because the top of the windshiled is so low. I am considerably shorter than you and have to crane my neck if I'm the first at the light.

Tom Smith

Fantastic - thanks for the offer Tom. I'll take you up on that offer. Are the Series II similar in head room to the IIa and III? If you're able to PM me with an address and preferable time/date that I could drive down that would be excellent!

I've seen those prism stickers that you stick to the windshield, but being my height I'd be afraid that I'd be looking directly through that ALL of the time. I already have the same issue with my Disco II right now and am thinking about having my driver seat modified and lowered.

The one you mention may be a better choice for me as it sounds like they're stuck to the dash rather than the windshield.

mechman
07-23-2009, 02:54 AM
I'm 6'1 and have never had a problem driving any Series truck. Then again, I tend to lean over the wheel as I drive - a result of multiple back surgeries...

And yes, the II is similar to the IIA which is very similar to a III. The only one smaller would be a Series I, and you'd know if you were in one of those.

Mech

Bertha
07-23-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a 88" late 2a(headlamps in the wings like a S3, as well as same seats and steering wheel as S3) and an 109" early 2a you are more than welcome to come look at and go for a drive. I am located in N Westchester county. PM me if interested. BTW I am 6' 3"

Bertha
07-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Fantastic - Are the Series II similar in head room to the IIa and III? .

Same headroom in all models, however your seat height will be affected by which seat you have. Original series 3 seats have nice soft british foam, which compresses more than the new aftermarket seats coming through these days. This will give you an inch or two in difference which won't make a difference in your head room but would definitely change your pov of where you line of sight is on the windscreen as well as where your legs end up in relationship to the steering wheel.

Tim Smith
07-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Flick, I'm in western CT if you want to see what a lightweight is like. PM me if you want to set up a time.