PDA

View Full Version : importing 110

Broadstone
07-25-2009, 06:11 AM
I will eventually be importing my 110 but assumed I had to wait until its actual build date of 25 years. However I have seen UK spec 110's in the States when they are mathematically 25 years old. Meaning one built in say November 1984 ( technically 24yrs 7months) already legal because by math it is 25 years. Anyone who can speak from experience?

greenmeanie
07-27-2009, 10:15 AM
My understanding from importing my 101 is that it has to be at least 25 years old. Most manufacturers only record the month of build so you could theoretically bring it in at the start of that month but that's it.

There is also an arguement that you can bring a vehicle in under temporary import for up to 12 months. This allows for people doing things like overlanding etc. In theory you would then switch to fully imported when it hit 25 years old. IIRC, however, there are rules that complicate this idea.

Ultimately, as I presume you want to be legal, the people you have to talk to are US customs and your state of registration DMV.

Broadstone
07-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have heard the same things. I say I am in no rush to get it here but of course I really am. I guess to make things simple I will just wait and do it as to avoid complications. My series trucks I did not have to worry about as they were over 25 years old.

Maryland 110
08-09-2009, 02:09 PM
It depends on the port and the customs officer you get. Customs is the enforcement agency for the DOT regulations on imports and some take that charge more seriously than others. I have gotten permission (always better to ask) to bring in an 84 late last year-ie 4 mos before it was mathmatically 25 yrs old. Since rover's don't have dates of manuf on them and the only way to get it is to obtain a build certificate from Gaydon there is some wiggle room since all anyone can hang their hat on is the date of first registration on the British V5/registration document. There is a line that says "new @ date of first registration" but that doesn't mean much.