PDA

View Full Version : 2 intermittent engine problems on 96 disco.

petedisco
07-25-2009, 11:03 AM
#1 hot start stumble- not every time then goes right away
#2 temp guage creeps to 3/4 occationally usually after long drive.

Radiator looks ok but I think it does weep on the side, coolant is clean and green, new fan clutch, cleaned tb and stepper. Neg for exaust gas in coolant test. replaced hose clamps. Bleed the coolant system. fixed leaks no real leakes. I dont think the impeller fell off my water pump I can see slight bubbling through the plug hole when running. Any suggestions I know the fuel temp sender but its 100 dollar part. Thanks

joshua.mcguoirk
07-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Is the air conditioning on or off? Check the 2 electrical fans in front of radiator, behind grill.

Cheers,

Joey4420
07-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Lets start with the basics...

Last major tune up and what was done?
Type of plugs you are using?
How many miles are on it now?
Have you cleaned the TPS(Throttle Position Sensor)
Have you cleaned the IAC(Idle Air Control)

petedisco
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I have done a tuneup myself. New belt, viscous fan cluch, recent champ stock plugs. Cleaned tb, iac, maf. I replaced the leaking hose clamps.
The expansion tank cap was leaking and I cleaned it seem to have stopped. I have 146,000 miles on clock. I removed the Tps and put it back the screws were a pain not to strip. New thermostat and gasket. my top hose was 215-220 when overheating once. neg block test for gas in coolant. new water temp sensor.
I suspect radiator blockage dont know how to test and head gasket problem hope not.

Joey4420
07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I would go to a radiator shop and have the radiator tested. You can buy the test kit yourself, but unless you think you will need it again a good one sells for over $100.

petedisco
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I had changed the antifreeze and put clear water in then refilled it but it overheated anyway. Maybe I had air in it. I kept tring to bleed it but it didnt work.

I went to the Radiator place and I guess the price for a recore have gone up and it takes 2-3 days for over 500 dollars. The original was 300 dollars one day. but I dont think he new what it would cost or why it was overheating. I took it home at the end of the day. Figured I get a new radiator if need be. I havent overheated since but it seems like he put something in it.

Joey4420
08-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Water wetter may help, but will not solve the issue... fresh water, I hope you used distilled water, or you will need a new radiator soon. Minerals in tap water is real hard on radiators.

Could also be a water pump going south.

petedisco
08-29-2009, 05:07 PM
I removed the radiator and it was rotted all in the front so I replaced it with a new one. cant wait till the summer. Thanks guys and Rovers North.