PDA

View Full Version : Speed/odometer calibration

rbonnett
07-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Is it possible for the odometer to be way out of calibration when the speedo isn't? I was pleased but suspicious about the mileage I seemed to be getting, so I checked it last time I was on the freeway.

I ran one of those measured miles, plus checked against several sets of mile posts. Very consistent - both the trip and regular odometers read 1.5 miles for every mile the DOT says I've gone. I'm not too concerned about it, except being bummed that I'm not getting 23 MPG after all :(

I'm far from the fastest thing on the road - although on surface roads I do keep up with traffic. On the freeway, I run at 90 or so Km/H at 2500 - 3000 RPM, which is my balance between the noise, stress on the truck and not getting flattened from behind.

Judging form other traffic, I just don't believe I'm actually doing 60 Km/H. Everyone overtakes me, but not like I'm standing still. And I would think a cop would have pulled me for going too slow by now anyway.

I am worried the speedo might be starting to go - if so I want to try to get it repaired before its completely shot.

Jim-ME
07-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Is your speedometer in MPH or KPH. If its in KPH are you possibly doing your conversion to MPH incorrectly. If you want to get your speedometer repaired and calibrated try http://www.nisonger.com/index.htm. I've purchased parts from them and they are very good to deal with. If you own a GPS you can check your speed with that. I use a GPS all the time for speed and distance because I am running 33" tires so my speedometer is between 10 and 12% off on the low side.
Jim