PDA

View Full Version : Restored 72 series III 88" newbie question on fluids

Oldblue
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Hello everyone,

Just got my rover back recently after it being rehauled and repainted professionally. It has the a refurbished original engine and its LHD. I got most of the work done for me as I know next to nothing about restoring vehicles and lack the tools to do any of real work. I've been driving it around know, proudly, for twice weekly jaunts, approximately 100 miles each time, for the last six months, and have been replacing all the fluids I can see when I open the hood at least once monthly ( my wife is still questioning how I could have spent so much money and still get a vehicle back that leaks from every possible plug underneath its body!). Yesterday I took the truck out as usual, and now there is a very audible sweaking sound coming from what seems like at least the front 2 wheels and maybe the back too, especially when I slow down and am bumbling along over semi rough road. I know I was advised to change the fluids for the axle, but have been gun shy until now. The question: how do I change the fluid? and is this the likely source of my sudden sqeaking problem?

navydevildoc
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
The squeaking is much more likely to be the suspension springs. You mentioned that it has been overhauled, does your truck now have parabolic leaf springs, or still has the original OEM springs? If you are unsure, go take a look at the leaf springs behind each wheel. If there are only 3 or 4 bars of metal in the center of the spring, you have parabolics. If you have something like 8, you have OEM. If you have OEM springs, they are going to squeak. That's normal.

As far as checking the differential fluid goes, simply unscrew the bolt on the differential (NOT the one at the bottom of the axle housing) and stick you finger in there and see if you get any oil on it. If you do, you are pretty much good to go. If you don't, it's low. If you want to change the oil completely, remove the bottom bolt and drain it out.

KevinNY
07-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Sounds like a u joint.

LaneRover
07-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Is it when you are applying the brakes?

Do not be afraid of changing the gear oil in the axles. Like NavyDevildoc said, it is easy to check and easy to replace. If you do replace the oil just remember that if you are using the copper crush washers and not rubber o-rings, the copper crushwashers only crush once and cannot be re-used.

Actually though physically they can be re-used you should not re-use them. I made that mistake early on.

Congrats on getting a Rover! Tackle problems as you feel comfortable, this forum is a great help to even those who have had Rovers for years.

Brent

Oldblue
07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I will get under the truck this weekend and have a look. I'll let you know. Thanks for the response.