PDA

View Full Version : Grover the Rover

Correus
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Thought I would share my blog with you dealing with my SIIa 88 rebuild.

I'm not wanting to turn this into a show piece, but something that is safe, reasonably reliable ( :rolleyes: ), and fun to drive.

SWMBO said she wouldn't ride in Grover until this was done. Since owning the Rover she has only ridden in him three, maybe four, times.

http://grover-the-rover.blogspot.com/

Tim Smith
07-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey Larry,
You forgot to mention that you are also experiencing severe ship fitters disease as you come across the broken bits. This just proves that you are a mere mortal just like the rest of us. :D

Correus
07-29-2009, 12:00 PM
:o :o :o

Les Parker
07-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Methinks that the debris in the bell housing is the dust etc. from the clutch plate. Looks like the flywheel needs to be skimmed and a new plate and a cover fitted.

Great job on the pix and documentary !

:thumb-up:

Correus
07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Looks like the flywheel needs to be skimmed and a new plate and a cover fitted.

Even though it's a relatively new plate and cover? They were installed in April '06 and between then and now Grover has been driven - maybe - 150 miles.

Thanks for the comps BTW!! :D

Les Parker
07-30-2009, 08:32 AM
I would recommend skimming as the clutch plate looks like it was stuck to the flywheel thus clutch vibration is likely if not skimmed. Also it looks like a 9" clutch was fitted, perfect time to upgrade to 9.5" Late IIa style clutch.

Correus
07-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks Les -

I'll look into the skimming. We had the fly wheel sent off for refinishing at the time the clutch was redone.

Okay, now I'm bit confused.... :confused:

I got the 9" disc and pressure plate since the Rover is a '63. I didn't know I could go with the 9.5" one. What's the benefit in upgrading to the larger one?

Les Parker
07-30-2009, 02:52 PM
The benefit is that the 9.5" clutch plate utilizes more of the flywheel surface, generally prolonging the length of time between replacement. Also, you'll probably find it easier on the foot when changing gear. Another benfit is the throughout flange meets a solid surface on the clutch cover, rather than the three fingers of the 9" clutch cover.

Correus
07-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks Les - this gives me something to consider when i get to that point.

I'm still trying to get my stuff together to get that parabolic set!! :D