PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Loss...

Donagh
07-29-2009, 08:25 PM
This morning I arrived at work, and saw a big stain where a lot of water had been beneath my car the day before. I bent down and saw coolant raining down from what appears to be the area between the rear of the block and the firewall,(but I can't clearly see from where). I could actually hear it hissing from somewhere as that coolant smoke wafted up from that area. I filled it back up and tried to make it home, but the temp gauge went to the 'red' twice. (I pulled over immediately each time, and turned off the engine. Then, I refilled the coolant tank with antifreeze.

After I got home, I waited for the engine to cool, and refilled the coolant tank. I checked the oil, but found no milky or cloudiness. The oil is normal looking. I started the car, and found not even a trace of white smoke. The engine seems to be running strong, but I didn't fool around, and put it immediately into the garage, and turned off the engine.

Tomorrow, I will have it flat-bedded to a garage that specializes in European cars, for an evaluation. But I wanted to ask two questions here on the forum first.

1) From what I described, what might it be, and is there a possibility that it is something simple like a leak in a hose or coolant tank?

2) When the car overheated, the 'check engine soon' light came on. Now that the engine is cool, the light remains on, but the engine runs quietly, smoothly, and with no loss of power. What's with the light?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions. I just want to be prepared when I take it to the mechanic tomorrow.

Donagh

Joey4420
07-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Could be a hose or a gasket.

Don
07-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Coolant comeing from the rear of engine
it very well could be the intake gasket