PDA

View Full Version : Think I found my problem

bmohan55
07-30-2009, 08:54 AM
the e-bay flipper that I bought my truck from mentioned that he did a valve job on it. After tracking down and fixing various problems I finally did a compression test, look where that led me! The gasket was evidently slid on to the head and the material between 3 & 4 was broken and folded back on itself, as was the material surounding one of the bolt holes. A leak down test performed at the shop here at work show that none of the valves were lapped in. With the help of the mechanics here at work I'll learn how to fix this also. It's been quite a learning experience the first 10 months of Series ownership, I'm loving it!

I'm very curious how much of a performance difference tight valves and two extra cylinders will make as I thought the truck was pretty good already!

graniterover
07-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Doh! You've made a big mistake.

The material is SUPPOSED to be folded over. And NEVER lap the valves.

the e-bay flipper that I bought my truck from mentioned that he did a valve job on it. After tracking down and fixing various problems I finally did a compression test, look where that led me! The gasket was evidently slid on to the head and the material between 3 & 4 was broken and folded back on itself, as was the material surounding one of the bolt holes. A leak down test performed at the shop here at work show that none of the valves were lapped in. With the help of the mechanics here at work I'll learn how to fix this also. It's been quite a learning experience the first 10 months of Series ownership, I'm loving it!

I'm very curious how much of a performance difference tight valves and two extra cylinders will make as I thought the truck was pretty good already!

bmohan55
07-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Maybe I'm not clear (as usual) the copper gasket material is missing between 3 & 4, it is cut and folded back on itself thus allowing the two cylinders to bleed into each other.

On lapping the valves, I'm going by the guys here at the shop. How do they seat tightly if not "fine tuned" by lapping? The PO supplied me with what was left of the cylinder rebuild gasket set from our hosts and there were still alot of unused parts, including small rings and washers...could they be used here? I haven't really look at them yet as we haven't started removing the valves. Back to the Green Bible!

Les Parker
07-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Methinks someone is taking the proverbial Micheal out of you !
Of course the valves need to be lapped, the later fibre head gaskets are infinetly better than the old copper and asbestos types.
Geez, stop winding folks up, you guys!

thixon
07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=Geez, stop winding folks up, you guys![/QUOTE]

Who here would do that?

bmohan55
07-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the clairification! Les, once we get into the valves be expecting an order.

Les Parker
07-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Grr. I'll send the Border Collie out, Protector of All Things Landrover

mechman
07-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Make sure you check the guides for wear, too. Badly worn guides can "force" the valves to one side, and appear like they weren't lapped when actually they're sitting off center. If you take off the keepers and springs and you can wobble the valves in the head, replace the guides.

Check the heads of the valves for roundness, too - if they're burned, they won't seat properly either. Seen all that... and now would be the time to renew those parts.

Methinks the seller MEANT to say, "The truck needs a valve job."

Just my $0.02.

Mech

bmohan55
07-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Mechman, thanks for the tip, will do. I've got some good mentors here at work (they build racecars) and told me they'd school me right. Thats why I'm holding off ordering gaskets until we tear into it.

graniterover
07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Sorry for my joke man. Didn't mean to steer you wrong.

What kind of race cars?

Mark

bmohan55
08-02-2009, 08:40 AM
No problem, I'm such a newbe at this stuff I take everything too serious!
I work with good old Virginia Boys that build dragsters.