PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be owner

usmc20c
07-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I have found a Series IIA LR that has been sitting in a parking lot for about a year now that has never moved, it's just collecting dust. I put a note on it last week and am anxiously waiting for a call or email. I called the owners of the parking lot, but had to leave a number since they were closed at the time... Maybe i will try again today. This will be my first Land Rover! I have always wanted one and this one is awesome. I hope it is for sale. It seems to be in very good condition for its age. The interior has very few descrepincies and the exterior is solid with VERY LITTLE rust... If anyone has any tips about this model or comments please feel free to contact me...

Thank you
Cpl Craig Carlile

Les Parker
07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Hope it works out for you. Always glad to assist anyone with a Series vehicle, come to that any Landrover product !
Send some pix, once you have secured it !!

LaneRover
07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Just remember that an old Land Rover won't show typical rust on its body as they are aluminum. The rust to look out for will be on the chassis, the bulkhead (firewall) or on the radiator support commonly called the 'breakfast' by the Rover community.

Definitely crawl underneath with a big screw driver and poke around looking for rust on the chassis.

Also if you haven't already start looking at some of the Rovers for sale in the for sale section of this forum to start giving yourself an idea about how much Rovers actually sell for.

Brent

NickDawson
07-30-2009, 03:58 PM
We'll keep our fingers crossed for you - welcome to the forums!

Having just taken the plunge myself I can attest that there is a wealth of knowledge around here.

In terms of tips, I'd say your first project will be to buy it right. If its been sitting for a while it will need some work. When you say rust free - have you checked the frame thoroughly? I was advised over and over again to poke around the frame with a screw driver and hammer. Its worthwhile advice! Other areas to pay attention too include the bulkhead and the foot wells.

Assuming it really is rust free, the engine might pose the next challenge since its doubtful it will start after a year of being idle. That alone might be a bargaining chip. I'd factor in the work its going to take to get it running again.

Good luck and keep us posted!

LRMAN
07-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Good luck with the Rover. I am also on the hunt.

Tim

Tim Smith
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Assuming it really is rust free, the engine might pose the next challenge since its doubtful it will start after a year of being idle. That alone might be a bargaining chip. I'd factor in the work its going to take to get it running again. I bet all it needs is a jump unless there was actually something wrong with it. I've been amazed time and time again with how a series truck will just start up and go after long periods of being idle.

I guess we'll see. :)