PDA

View Full Version : Question:What is "clutch vibration"

griswald
07-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Les Parker mentioned Clutch vibration in an earlier thread today and I am hoping he can expand on it a bit more.

What are the signs/symptoms of Clutch vibration?

What are the caused of Clutch vibration? (i.e. would an out of adjustment slave cyl or master cyl failing cause this?)

What is the "Cure" (I assume resurfaced flywheel new pp and clutch)

Thanks for your help!

Griswald
71 IIA swb

jac04
07-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Clutch vibration is also called clutch 'chattering'. It is a vibration that occurs as you engage the clutch (while you are slipping the clutch). A warped flywheel or pressure plate surface could cause this issue. It can also be caused by a poor flywheel surface as Les mentioned.

The cure, as you stated, is to have the flywheel machined and install a new clutch (if the PP was the culprit). Funny, I just dropped off my flywheel at the machine shop today for re-surfacing.

rovertek
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
dont forget installing a new pilot bushing which will insure that the input shaft runs true most input shaft bearings are loose just try moving the shaft up and down while the trannys out, the if pilot bushing is loose it will make the clutch chatter too.....

I Leak Oil
07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
All of the above plus a contaminated clutch (oil) or broken dampener springs on the clutch plate. There is no way to truely fix it without taking it apart.