PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Series III

Dubv1980
07-30-2009, 07:27 PM
A couple of question on my '73 Series III water pump. The pump seems to be functioning fine, but recently I've been hearing a rattling by the fan..which I thought was a loose fan bolt, but in fact the shaft coming out of the water pump has some play it in, so I imagine its only a matter of time before it gives up the ghost?
So, looking at the offerings from our host, there is a HUGE difference in price between the Proline and he Genuine...does anyone know/have any experience with the quality difference on this particular part? Also, in the diagram, the piece on the send of the shaft that the fan and pulley bolt onto is not shown..its just a shaft...does that part come off my old water pump?
Many questions, any answers are appreciated!

Chris

'73 Series III
'74.5 MGB GT
'89 Rover/Sterling 827 SLi

LaneRover
07-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Mine started rattling and when I checked it out is was leaking a bit. If I remember correctly I bought the rebuild kit. To be honest I don't know if my SIII had the correct engine or not.

Not sure about the piece, you may need to take it off of your water pump assembly.

Good luck!

Brent

Tim Smith
07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
I used a proline replacement a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems. You should ask our hosts but IIRC, the piece on the end of the shaft was on the new pump. I did my replacement in a field with no major tools on hand so I bet it's going to be easier than you think.

All you have to do is swap over the fan using the three or four bolts that you just tightened around the outside of the mating piece on the fan.

I Leak Oil
07-31-2009, 05:06 PM
A replacement pump comes complete. Install it, install the pulley and fan and away you go. That piece you're talking about is is the flange that the pulley and fan mount to. It comes installed on the pump.
On the other hand, I've rebuilt 2 pumps. One came with the flange and one required I re-use the original. Go figure...