PDA

View Full Version : You asked for pics (72 Series III 88)...now tell me what it's worth

GreatWhiteNorth
07-31-2009, 01:01 AM
Here's the link to my Supermotors page with over 50 pics of the '72. These are the "before" pics. I'll be doing a lot of cleanup, detailing, and repainting of some the trim and small pieces, plus the rims and rear bumper. Then it will likely be going up for sale...any advice on what it's worth? Just trying to get a feel for what is fair to ask. Low book on NADA and Manheim Gold is about $7500...thanks guys.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/747562_1

4flattires
07-31-2009, 07:28 AM
Luv those floormats. As a child we used to have those for doormats on 'da farm.

Jeff

NickDawson
07-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Luv those floormats. As a child we used to have those for doormats on 'da farm.

Mine arrived from the UK with the same mats and I had the exact same thought... quickly followed by "is that mud? customs isn't going to like that one bit..."

Nice looking GreatWhiteNorth - looks fairly unmolested, which could be good and bad. I've said before, but its worth reminding, I'm about as green as it comes, but I'll share what I learned during my search.

The replacement of the oil breather is probably a good thing - but you might try and find out the history there. What kind of carb is that? I know there are some preferences, but most likely its a non issue.

There does appear to be some rust, particularly on the crosmembers. If you are up for the challenge then it may not be the end of the world. And despite all the admonishments regarding rust around here, I saw some real examples of swiss cheese during my search and despite their condition I bet they'd still last another 5-10 years.... although you never know ;)

The foot wells look good but its hard to see the bulk head - any idea of its condition? What about under the carpet in the back? How is the bed? Thats the area where mine is showing some corrosion.

All the trim (doors, delux seats, etc) is nice but doesnt contribute much in the grand scheme.

Do I recall you saying it had been sitting for a year? My biggest concern would be the implications of that idle time. It may just need to be flushed and cleaned up, if so whats the value of your time? But it may need all new seals....or worse.

I'd hate to suggest something insulting, but start at $3,500 .... the worst is that the guy says no way and you counter a little higher. Its not like he's had other offers over the last year, right?

I turned down other trucks with similar levels of rust that were priced at $6K ... for $4,500 I might I have bitten, but I wasn't interested in doing frame repair. If I'm mistaken and the frame is in good shape and you feel like it will be easy to get running, then it could well be a $5-6K truck. Others will give you a more qualified opinion :D

Hope that helps, good luck and keep us posted!
-N

KevinNY
07-31-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm going to have to disagree. That truck is about as clean and unmolested by SPOT as you can ever expect to find a series. Your photos are complete and honest. I'd say your original price idea is about right.

NickDawson
07-31-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm going to have to disagree. That truck is about as clean and unmolested by SPOT as you can ever expect to find a series. Your photos are complete and honest. I'd say your original price idea is about right.

Like I said - "others will give you a more qualified opinion" :D

If it is rust free then $7,500 does indeed seem reasonable

thixon
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM

X2. Provided everything is in working order.

Body panels are good and straight, frame looks to be in okay shape, bulkhead looked to be in good order. Was that a section cut out of the center bulkhead on the passenger side?

$3500 is low. I'd say between $5k and $7k is where is would end up depending on the negotiating skills of seller/buyer. If you do a great job on the cleanup, and straighten out some of the wiring, paint a few things, it might go higher.

greenmeanie
07-31-2009, 10:21 AM
ABout the only thing I see that raises a question is the cut in the tub bulkhead. Its repairable but if I was buying the truck I'd use that in my favour. I'd love to know its purpose as it doesn't seem to provide any extra room for the seat back and the truck doesn't show any obvious signs of having something mounted or carried in that place..

GreatWhiteNorth
07-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. The pictures of the crossmembers may be misleading...I'll have to go back and look at them again, but I crawled all over the vehicle last night and took about 70 photos, and I couldn't find anything more than surface rust anywhere. I have banged all over the frame with a hammer and it's solid as can be.

The carb is a Weber with K&N air filter. I forgot to add that I have the original air cleaner and the original Zenith carburetor for the vehicle as well.

That was not me that was stating that the vehicle had been sitting for a year...must have been someone else. This vehicle is originally from Montana, and my friend bought it at an estate sale from the original owner. I am now the third owner. Anyways, my friend tried to take really good care of it.

The cut in the tub bulkhead is a real downer to me. I have no idea why someone would do that, unless they wanted to lay something long down in the bed that stretched into the front seat area...I guess then you could lay the seat down and have more room. I have no idea, and really wish they had not done that.

The bulkhead is solid as a rock. I have had all the floorpans out and the small kick-panels, and it looks great. No rust at all.

And just for clarification, I am looking to sell the vehicle, not buy it. I'll be spending the next three days refurbishing the interior and exterior of the car, and I can shoot more pictures then. Just wanted to give you guys an idea of what the truck looked like when I got it. I'm going to spray rubberized undercoating in the wheelwells, so I wanted to get pictures of the frame in that area so there was no issue later as whether or not rust was covered up. There is truly nothing to hide with this one.

NickDawson
07-31-2009, 11:12 AM
That was not me that was stating that the vehicle had been sitting for a year...must have been someone else.

And just for clarification, I am looking to sell the vehicle, not buy it.

considering those two points, I'd totally disregard my previous post ... sorry, got confused

GreatWhiteNorth
07-31-2009, 11:17 AM
considering those two points, I'd totally disregard my previous post ... sorry, got confused

Hey no worries, I appreciate your input.

greenmeanie
07-31-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm going to spray rubberized undercoating in the wheelwells, so I wanted to get pictures of the frame in that area so there was no issue later as whether or not rust was covered up. There is truly nothing to hide with this one.

If it were me I'd not bother. The reason I say this is because as a prospective new owner I'd want to paint that chassis and would view a fresh application of undercoat as a downer as I now have to remove it.

Unless you've got a really good reason I'd leave it alone and let it sell on its merits.

GreatWhiteNorth
07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
If it were me I'd not bother. The reason I say this is because as a prospective new owner I'd want to paint that chassis and would view a fresh application of undercoat as a downer as I now have to remove it.

Unless you've got a really good reason I'd leave it alone and let it sell on its merits.

That's a good point, and I hadn't thought of that. I just wanted to get the wheelwells themselves blacked out so it would show well. Guess I could just clean and spray paint the frame itself black, and then undercoat the wheelwells. I'll have to give that some thought.

Tim Smith
07-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Great looking truck!

If you are going to rubber coat the frame, I for one would consider that a SPOT and something to be leery of. It's been my experience that fresh rubber undercoating is there to hide something. If anything, use waxoil. It will look just as good and would indicate proper maintenance.

You also mentioned painting some of the trim? Please don't paint the galvanized bits. :eek:

GreatWhiteNorth
07-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Great looking truck!

If you are going to rubber coat the frame, I for one would consider that a SPOT and something to be leery of. It's been my experience that fresh rubber undercoating is there to hide something. If anything, use waxoil. It will look just as good and would indicate proper maintenance.

You also mentioned painting some of the trim? Please don't paint the galvanized bits. :eek:

I will keep that in mind then, thanks for the advice.

No, not painting any of the galvanized areas. Just small pieces like the gas cap, maybe the front plastic grille, the steps underneath the doors, the spare tire carrier on back, etc.

czenkov
07-31-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree with the other guys. Clean up dirt and debris out of it then sell it untouched and let it go on its merits. When I was looking anything that looked like it had fresh paint on the steel parts was removed from consideration. Better to see the issues than be surprised. Nice looking truck BTW. Good luck with the sale. Am excited to see the 109 pics when you get those posted up.

GreatWhiteNorth
07-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Alright, you guys talked me out of it. I'm going to return the undercoating, and just scrub and clean the wheelwells good. I've got everything ready to go for tomorrow...the fun begins.

GreatWhiteNorth
08-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Interior clean and detailing is complete, and some of the exterior work is done as well. Only took me 10 hours today...

Hopefully I'll have "after" pictures tomorrow.

GreatWhiteNorth
08-02-2009, 08:47 PM
OK, here's the "after". Spent about 18 hours in 2 days on the interior and exterior to get it ready to sell. I'm happy with the results...

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/748252/fullsize/after9.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/748251/fullsize/after8.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/748247/fullsize/after4.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/748235/fullsize/after1.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/748238/fullsize/after12.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/748237/fullsize/after11.jpg

You can see the rest of the pics at...

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/748235

Rover is now for sale!