PDA

View Full Version : buying a disco?

scott
08-04-2009, 11:48 AM
hello disco folks, i'm from the series forum of this board. we get along well over there and i was wondering if it's the same here.

my kid is heading of to college, she's looking to buy a 1999 disco ii w/ 115k on the clock. asking price is $5900. is that about the norm? when checking it out is there anything specific to the disco that i should look at to tell if it's been rid'n hard and put up wet then just cleaned up for the sale?

thanks

BackInA88
08-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Seems high for a rig with that many miles and that old?
Around here (Michigan) it could be had for less than $4k.

Service history?
Have the head gaskets been changed, common problem.
Will leak oil as bad as you Series.:mad:
Parts are expensive.
If he can't work on it himself, he can't afford it.:p

I got one of my kids a Saturn Ion. But she is only 60 miles away.
The other got the old mini van.

Don't think I don't like Disco's.
I love mine with 116K and would drive it anywhere.

Steve

Rineheitzgabot
08-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I can only think of two big things right off the top of my head:

-Listen to the engine idle for the nefarious, sleeve problem. It is evident with a slight knocking noise that is contemporary with the RPM's. This is where the cylinder sleeves have broke loose and begin moving slightly with the pistons. I don't know if there is a particular vintage of DII (mine is an '02 without any trouble; knock on aluminum) that is more problematic than others.

-I have heard wicked stories about the tranny failing. However, I think this is directly related to the way it has been serviced/driven. A quick spin, with the tranny in "Sport" mode (look just south of the shiffter for a button that says "Mode"; push it and the "S" will light up in the dash).

Other than the: Back door handle seizing up about every 4 months, the power seats not working on the passenger side, the clock light bulb burning out in the dash, the jump seats never working properly which has led me to always leave them down, the stupid way that the oil filter was designed around, and the stereotypical leaking of anti-freeze in the passenger seat footwell; it is a great truck!

Hope this helps.

Gary

BackInA88
08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I can only think of two big things right off the top of my head:

-Listen to the engine idle for the nefarious, sleeve problem. It is evident with a slight knocking noise that is contemporary with the RPM's. This is where the cylinder sleeves have broke loose and begin moving slightly with the pistons. I don't know if there is a particular vintage of DII (mine is an '02 without any trouble; knock on aluminum) that is more problematic than others.
Usually caused by letting the engine over heat.

-I have heard wicked stories about the tranny failing. However, I think this is directly related to the way it has been serviced/driven. A quick spin, with the tranny in "Sport" mode (look just south of the shiffter for a button that says "Mode"; push it and the "S" will light up in the dash).
I have only heard good things about the ZF trans?

Other than the: Back door handle seizing up about every 4 months, the power seats not working on the passenger side, the clock light bulb burning out in the dash, the jump seats never working properly which has led me to always leave them down, the stupid way that the oil filter was designed around, and the stereotypical leaking of anti-freeze in the passenger seat footwell; it is a great truck!
Need to squeeze you rubber nipples (on either side of the trans coming out off the trans tunnel sheet metal) they plug up and don't allow the water that is generated by the condenser to drain.

Hope this helps

Gary

Steve

scott
08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
gary/steve thanks. she'll be at school about a 3 hr drive from home. her sis is there with an 04 deisel beetle that has had me making trips down there for stupid repairs. maybe they can coordinate the vehicle abuses.

rust is not much of an issue out here so maybe that's what has folks asking more for their rides when they sell.

i'll listen for those sloppy sleeves and definantly run the tranny through it's paces

thanks again

Ilya
08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
I would add that price is bit high, I bought my 2000 Discovery II 80,000 for about $5000, 3 years ago.